We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
595 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

We will be starting our Umbria trip in Terni and would like to know what would be a charming town nearby to base ourselves for wine tasting. We will have a car at our disposal and might want to get in a little biking as well during the day. Thank you?

Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

I suggest either Assisi or Todi, for ease of transportation to other hill towns for day trips and proximity to wineries. For wine tours near Assisi try www.gustowinetours.com and for wine tours near Todi try www.discoveringumbria.it.

For biking information, try www.bikeinumbria.it .

Enjoy Umbria!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

For mainly white wines, Orvieto:

consorziovinidiorvieto.it/eng/produttori.htm

For mostly red wines, Montefalco:

www.consorziomontefalco.it/index.php…

If you have your own transport, almost every winery can arrange a tasting for you by prior appointment.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
595 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

Thanks...our focus will be mainly on red wines. We are looking for a town that offers interesting architecture, history, charm and good dining. That will be important for the evening after our touring days are over. Our main forays have been into Rome and north for skiing so this area (including Tuscany) will be new to us.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

Assisi is beautiful, good choice of restaurants but often so very crowded. I personally love Todi but although I eat there quite often, am not familiar with hotel options. Panicale is rather small, there's one excellent restaurant (and possibly others too) and it's very well positioned to visit southern Tuscany but it's not in the same league as the other towns you mentioned and I wouldn't want to stay there. If it were me I would probably opt for Orvieto for it has absolutely everything plus some great red wines. Our best buy for the cantina last year was a case of Barberani Foresco 2007, a supersmooth "super Tuscan", er, from Umbria. Visit the vineyard on the shores of lovely Lago di Corbara as you head towards Todi. Or visit the store directly opposite the cathedral in the Orvieto. And the must-see towns and countryside in southern Tuscany are directly on your northern doorstep as the intersection at Orvieto is barely 25 mins from the A1 exit at Chiusi. And there are sensational backroads too. I posted on this recently, will see if I can find the link.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 09:32
5. Re: Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Panicale for 3 Nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 10:17