We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in umbria

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in umbria

Hello

Guidebook dizzy!

My husband and I will be in Umbria for 5 days in Sept 2011, based near Spoleto with a car.

Tring to narrow down places to visit in both Umbria and TUSCANY.

Like to get that small town feel.

Looking at Assisi, Spoleto, Spello, Bevagna, Montepulciano and Lucca.

Would appreciate any suggestions that would give us the most varied experience of architecture feel.

Any rustic authentic , not fancy, restaurants would be appreciated bas well as any worth it tours.

Thanks

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in umbria

I can speak for Spello, Montepulciano, and Assisi; I think you'll love them. You might want to visit Montalcino also, lovely little town.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in umbria

You may find Lucca to be a really long day trip from Spoleo, I would recommend Orveto and Todi as two lovely towns within a much shorter distance and on the way to Montepulciano and the Val D'Orcia. You may also wish to consider the vineyards around Torgiano and the town of Deruta, the major ceramics center, both of which you could see on the way back from Assisi if you took the E 45.

We may run into you as we will be seeing many of the same sights during the second two weeks of September also. You may wish to check out the website for where we are staying for her recommended day trips: www.anticavetreria.net/ Hope this helps.

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in umbria

Thank you s much.

I really appreciate your time.

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in umbria

Wow1

Thank you so much.

Your choice looks wonderful!

I am going to take a look at Val D'Orcia as I had not condidered it.

I do not know why I have a yen to see Lucca, but we will see.

Have you been to Umbria before?

Alos- thanks for the link as the day trips listed are very informative.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in umbria

Hi 'Soul, glad that Colleen's website was of use to you. I particularly liked her comments and guide to Assisi. Haven't been in Umbria for sometime but in preparation for a mass family reunion to celebrate several 50th B-Days in 2012, I have been doing a lot of research, which includes our trip in September. We plan on spending several days visiting the Val D'orcia including Montepulciano and (12 K's further on the same road,) Pienza and the other small towns of this UNESCO designated world-site valley.

Lucca would be a wonderful trip, but it is almost 600 K's roundtrip and an estimated 6 plus hours of driving time alone, much less allowing for looking around time. It makes a much better day trip from Florence, which is what we plan on doing.

I don't know how much shopping you are going to do, but we plan on doing some major retail therapy in Deruta's old town at the ceramics shops. If Assisi and Umbria is the' home of the saints' then Deruta is the home of the angels of pottery.

If you like countryside you may wish to consider a trip to Norcia (the home of Italy's butchers and fantastic charcuterie shops) about 40 K's east of Spoleto and then up to Preci and then over to Castelsantangelo sul Nera and back. About 150 K's round trip but right through the heart of one of Italy's finest National Parks and a great walled town.

Anyway, some more ideas that I hope help rather than add to the confusion. Mike

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in umbria

We are also planning to spend 5 days in Umbria near Spoleto in Bazano this May. We are also staying 3 days near Pienza and 3 days in Cinque Terre. In Umbria, we hope to concentrate in just that area or perhaps also some of Le Marche. Do you already have your accommodations reserved in Umbria?

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in umbria

Thanks, Mike..

I believe I am going to take your advice about the Val D'Orcia and Pienza as well as the National Park,Lucca may have to wait because as you point out, too much precious time in the car.

What a great 50th birthday!

Have a wonderful time and thanks for the help.

Ro

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in umbria

Dear Sinaigirl.

Wow I would love to go to Cinque Terre! Next time.

I have already booked my place in Umbria. Have you?

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in umbria

jerry,

Thank you.

I am looking at Montalcino.

Thanks for your time.

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in umbria

Yes, elevatemysoul, we have an interesting apartment already booked. We are starting our visit in Pienza, followed by Umbria. We hope to explore Assisi, the tiny towns of Spello, Bevagna and Montefalco etc. Also, Ovieto and perhaps Todi along with the area that includes $ that Mike talked about. Cinque Terre is the last 3 days. Because, we are going in May, I guess this is shoulder season, we have been able to get quite good rates at all of our apartments in each area. I'm not sure, but September may be shoulder season too.