We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Am planning a trip to Umbria next year with my extended family...there will be around 20 of us in total from age 65-to 2 years old (If I can get them all to commit!) Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay - I am having trouble finding a villa to fit all of us that doesn't blow the budget and is family friendly. Any help would be appreciated...ciao!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

This is a very tough question.

Let us know the expected time frame, and what might be a good cost estimate.

Also it would help if we know how much prior experience of Italy they/you have, and what you might want to get out of Umbria.

There are agriturismos in Umbria that could accomodate 20, but of course there are huge variations in what to expect from agriturismos.

It would probably be productive if you do some searching and studying on "Umbria Agriturismos" or "Umbria Villa" or go the web site www.bellaumbria.net.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

We are doing a group celebration of a number of the family all turning 50 at once at www.anticavetreria.net/ in the first week of July 2012 for 23 of us. Our group spans 73 to 3 (with a couple teenagers included) and we thought this villa and apartment assortment gave us the perfect combination of small village and medieval history, as well as proximity to a number of hill towns to visit in Umbria and southern Tuscany. We will take the villa and three of the four apartments and it works out to about $50 per person per night, which we thought was reasonable. Even if you choose not to stay here, Colleen has a wonderful website with lots of information about day trips, etc. Hope this helps.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Thanks for the info I will try searching for agriturismos - I hadn't tried that one...

Mike - thanks for your info also - I am sure it is a great place - but i don't think it will suit us - it doesn't look very kid friendly (we have some small children in the group). I would like the kids to be able to have the run of the place - so need a fenced, safe pool and a play area and plenty of lawn etc...also I would prefer to be somewhere away from it all -

thanks though - will keep you posted.PJ

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

For Umbria - Places of interests.

Assisi - Montefalco - Spello,- Bevagna, Foligno, Spoleto , Orvieto - all interesting towns & villages.

dolcevitavillas.com/…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Thanks fo all your help everyone - we eventually found the perfect place - through www.ownersdirect.com looks and sounds great - didn't know until we started reserchin, it was also listed right here on Trip Advisor...all along!

The villa can accommodate us all - each famly has it's own apartment within the main house - which is great -so we can be together but have our own space if we want - important for us. and it is child friendly so our grandchildren have a play area and the pool is fenced - hard to find in italy...the owners are also very helpful and British - they have really helped out with the trip planning - so much we feel we know them already! Can't wait for our trip will keep you posted...we booked Villa Pian Di Cascina - their website is www.italian-holidays-ltd.com and it's owned by Paul and Isabel - the website is very informative and has lots of info about Umbria and what to see and do - worth checking out even if you don't stay with them.

Ciao & thanks PJ

6. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 17:35
CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Hi. We are planning on a trip to Umbria in early April, We would like to spend 6 days, after spending three days in Rome. The trip party are my wife, myself (50's) and daughter (20). We would prefer villas, hotels, or condos with easy access to both Spolletto and Perugia, and we were thinkg of using those two towns as bases. Is this itinerary advised? Would we better with one town as a base for the entire trip? How long is the train ride from Rome to Spolletto? Would we have easy access to Todi? Are there any special hotels or restaurants that you could recommend? Grazie Mille for all of the questions.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 08:36
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Joejoan, I suggest you repost in a new thread; this one is old, and many people might not read it to the end.

For train schedules, look at www.trenitalia.com/. It won't recognize Spolletto; use Spoleto. Todi is not on the same train line. For all trains and for buses, use www.umbriamobilita.it: Servizi ferroviari for trains, Servizi extraurbani for buses.

Umbria
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

Joejoan,

I would advise choosing a place in the central Umbrian valley as it is the heart of Umbria and literally in the center of all the best sights and towns. Cannara, Assisi, Bevagna, Spello or Foligno are your best bests. Perugia is the worst place to stay as it is high on a hill surrounded by a highly trafficked road - better for a day trip, and Spoleto is okay but it is on the southern end of the valley. I strongly recommend you rent a car for your stay in Umbria. Trains don't go to all of the towns, and if they do, many of the towns are high on a hill so you then have to take an expensive taxi (or wait for infrequent busses) to take you up to the actual town.

10. Re: I am Planning a Trip next year to Umbria....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2012, 14:06