We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food in mid to late October

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
food in mid to late October

I will be in Umbria in mid to late October and wonder what sort of local foods will be in season. I hope funghi will still be available. Are there other foods that tourists might not think to look for or ask for? I understand that black truffles are not in season at this time, but am hoping that preserved ones will still be used..

thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Locanda Manfredi
££ - £££, Italian
La Foresteria
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean
Morristown,NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food in mid to late October

You should have no trouble finding funghi of different types and truffles, even tough it's past their season. Wild boar should be finding its way onto menus. Late season fruits grapes, cacchi (don't know the English), pears and apples.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: food in mid to late October

Cacchi = Persimmons.

Fall is definitely the time of funghi (depends on the type), but certainly porcini (so long as it has not been too dry or too cold) and also the black truffle - though the season is generally November to March, it depends on the area. Some hunt earlier.

Look for chestnuts as well. Many towns in the Apennines have chestnut festivals (Festa delle castagne), as well as Tartufi (truffle festivals). You might find or ask about Monte Bianco on the menus - a dessert made with chestnuts.

Cinghiale (wild boar), and other game meat is also popular in the fall. You will see nuts such as walnuts and hazelnuts and Figs might still be available.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food in mid to late October

Thanks, bropaul and cat, great suggestions. It is good to know the Itallianh word for persimmon!

bop

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food in mid to late October

Don't forget olive oil! In October olive harvest is in full swing. You will get to taste some magnificent oil, just pressed.

Pears as in pear and cheese, pear and ravioli, pear and prosciutto, lots of wonderful combinations are possible

Farro and beans. After the fierce heat of the summer people enjoys earthy soups made with spelt and a vairety of beans, in particular the world famous Castelluccio lentils.

New harvest honey, we have lots of fabulous artisan honey in the region which can be also enjoyed with cheese. Try truffle honey on a mild cheese, it's to die for.

I am sad to announce that figs - at least the local ones - will only last for a couple of more weeks though. Enjoy the rest!

Mentioned in this post
Castelluccio
Castelluccio
105 Reviews
Umbria, Italy
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food in mid to late October

Madonna del piatto,

So glad you took the time to reply. I am very happy to hear that we may find fresh olive oil. I thought we might be a bit too early for the oil. I always seem to read about the picking of the olives coinciding with dreary November days. I am almost through my hoard of Umbrian olive oil from my previous trip, so I will be delighted to get some freshly pressed.

thanks,

bop

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food in mid to late October

This year, after an odd summer, it looks as though things here aren't running to quite their usual schedule....

libero-news.it/news/823476/Agricoltura-senza…

Sure you'll find some delicious treats, none the less!

Peter

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food in mid to late October

Indeed some olive growers only start harvesting at the end of the month, but some start as early as end of september, so you will surely find some delicious oil to try. We start around 25 October if it's sunny and dry.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: food in mid to late October

Truffles are still in season in the Gubbio area in October - there is even a dedicated Truffle Festival the last week of October in Gubbio - all things truffle and more are celebrated! (Google Truffle Festival, Gubbio for more info)

Olive oil isn't harvested generally in Umbria until late October or early November - but you may be able to sample some new oil if you are there the last week of October - a mill trip to see how it is pressed is well worth the time!

Also pumpkin, squash, beans, pulses and leafy greens are very much in season.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Gubbio
Gubbio
Province of Perugia, Italy
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
9. Re: food in mid to late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:17