We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

Am I asking for the impossible, an untouristy town in Italy in July?

I will be in Orvieto and Asissi in July 2012 and want to stay a few days in a small, quiet town with access to Rome airport before my departure to USA. Any ideas you fellow travellers? Last year I thought Florence in September & October would have thinner crowds but it was horribly hot, crowded and ,mosquito ridden, I had an apartment near the Duomo.No one went home until mid -November and still everyone was speaking English. Would the Oltrano have been a better choice as a base? I don;t want to repeat that experience because I returning to learn more Italian and not be innundated with English . Thoughts appreciated.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

If you have not booked your lodging in Orvieto and Assisi yet and you have a car, you may want to consider where we stayed last September for two weeks and will be back for the first week in July. From this base we visited Orvieto, Assisi, Deruta, Perugia, Cortona, Todi, Pienza and Siena as day trips, plus a lot of smaller non-touristy nearby hill towns.

www.anticavetreria.net is a recently converted 750 year old glass blowing factory in the small hill town of Piegaro, 40KMs north of Orvieto and 45 Ks west of Assisi. Antica Vetrearia and one small boutique hotel is the extent of the tourist lodging in the town. You and Colleen's other guests will be virtually the only tourists in Piegaro. Even this late (we booked two years in advance) one of the apartments (like Il Forno Due) should be available if it looks like something that will work for you.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 01:49
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds fanstastic, but I am alone without a car so I think it won;t work at this time. Thanks again.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

Narni has an interesting historic centre and is on the rai line Terni -Roma.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

Against what most people thinks, September and most of October is peak season on Central Italy. Italians holiday on the beach in July-August. Everybody else comes mostly during those two beautiful months.

As a consequence if you come to central Italy in July you might have less crowds than in September. It is however the hottest time of the year, so do avoid locations at low altitude like e.g. Florence.

Any hilltown in Umbria near the rail lines will do. Perugia, Assisi, Spello, Spoleto are all high up on the hills (breezy nights) and and easy train ride to Rome.

5. Re: uncrowded town not too far from Rome for mid july 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:41