We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Umbria from a base town (trip report)

Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exploring Umbria from a base town (trip report)

Some people on this Forum asked question about exploring Umbria from a base town. I just returned from seven night stay in Umbria where I stayed in an apartment in a small medieval town of Trevi .

I have visited many countries on my own and found Umbria is the best to explore by car from a base town location. Driving and free parking in mid-January in all places was relatively easy.

Trevi is conveniently located 1,5 km off the main road (not a highway) on which one can reach all major heritage sites.I did daily trips at comfortable pace (you enjoy Italy when you do not care about time) to:

- Assisi

- Todi + Orvieto

- Perugia

- Gubbio

- Spoleto

- Assisi again, as I was unable to walk around the town in my first trip.

I was lucky to stay at the apartment which host spoke fluent English and who helped me to learn a lot about Italian culture that I would never .

I enjoyed visiting all places but the first three from my list are the highlights of the trip. It is worth to travel to Umbria only for the sake to see the facade of Orvieto's Duomo. It is stunning.

If you stay near Trevi, go to Ristorante L Ulivo. They offer prix fix tasting menu of the local dishes (around 20 meals and a bottle of house wine) for 27 euros. Excellent experience.

What a great place to explore the Italian culture and heritage!

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Umbria from a base town (trip report)

Thanks for your trip report....helpful!

2. Re: Exploring Umbria from a base town (trip report)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 06:16