We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves?

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base ourselves?

Hi

My wife, son(9) and I are coming out from NZ and are going to be in Italy for 2 weeks in July as part of a European holiday. We have previously been to Tuscany a number of times, Venice, Rome and the Amalfi Coast and were looking for somewhere different.

We are spending 3 days around Cinque Terre but are then undecided on where else. We have been recommended Le Marche (Urbino) and Umbria by a number of people.

The plan would be to base ourselves in these areas for a week iand explore the region/s. we will have a car so no issue with getting round.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have on the best area/s to stay, places to see etc. also if anyone can recommend a villa/apartment/agriturismo with a pool.

Many thanks for your help

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Le Marche is wonderful, and not as loaded with tourists as Tuscany.

We loved the Locanda della Valle Nuova, an organic B&B near Urbino. Web site here: http://www.vallenuova.it/en/locanda/casa.htm

2. Re: Where to base ourselves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 22:05
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Places that we have greatly enjoyed. All offer many convenient chances for interesting day trips.

appartmento San Martino, just north of Montone in Northern Umbria. This one is a real change of pace. Completely self-catering. About three miles North of Umbertide and twelve to fifteen miles south of Citta di Castello. Umbertide has a super-market (Italian style) and some decent restaurants and cafes. They have three apartments to rent, and the owners live there. Two apartments have two bedrooms and one has one bedroom. They are all quite comfortable and well-furnished. There is a fantastic view of the town of Montone sitting up on a hill about a mile away. While we were there we visited Citta di Castello, Arezzo, Umbertide, Perugia, Trevi and the Adriatic coast. Assisi is near, too.

Just one word of warning: the drive leading up to the house is daunting, steep, twisting up the side of a hill. I went up or down a dozen times without mishap, but each time you go up it gives one pause. The owners are British, quite friendly and willing to help. They have added a section to their web site that shows driving times to some interesting surrounding towns. I handled all the arrangements, and price haggling over the telephone with the owner and there were no problems of any kind.

selfcateringumbria.com/content/Contact.asp

San Potente/Villa Rosy http://www.sanpotente.it/listino_rosyGB.htm

We stayed in the one-bedroom apartment Magnolia, it was comfortable and quiet. Hidden back in the middle of an olive grove. There is a bench down the drive a bit with a lovely view of Assisi on a hill about a mile away. The little town Rivatorto is nothing at all, but there are many wonderful places to visit nearby. The San Potente folks have three agriturismos near Assisi, but we have only visited the Villa Rosy. Based on that visit, I would expect their other places to be good, also.

http://www.hoteldeiduchi.com in Spoleto.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 16:39
UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Thank you very much for your responses and valuable information. We have found a fantastic cottage in Marche that we will base ourselves in for 10 days and is reasonably central. Looking forward to getting there.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base ourselves?

We are planning a 2 week trip to Umbria, Oct/Nov. 2013. We do not want to stay in a apartment if possible. Your cottage sounds appealing. Could you give me some information?

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to base ourselves?

I could also recommend to the above poster (looks OP found something already) L'Antica Vetreria in Piegaro. It's a sweet town, easy to day trip around Umbria and Tuscany, and it's one of the only places I've seen that has a pool, yet is within town walls. So you can swim, and then walk to a great restaurant for dinner. Wonderful.

http://www.anticavetreria.net/

Have a great trip!

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to base ourselves?

We just spent some time in Foligno in Umbria, a lovely town with great restaurants, such a surprising treat for us. We stayed at a fabulous boutique hotel/B& B, Villa dei Platani with all of the state of art bells and whistles at an extremely good rate. It was perfect location, near enough to Assisi.

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Hi apologies for the slow response. Here is their website http://www.bellavallone.com/

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Hello - My son & I are also travelling in Umbria in early October but by train & I'm wondering from which town would be most suitable for day trips. I've been considering Bolonga then Perugia. We won't be driving.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to base ourselves?

Hi Ukants - I am afraid the website has been suspended. Do you have a email or name? Thanks.