We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

base for walking in Umbria?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
base for walking in Umbria?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a base for walking in Umbria?.

I would also like to see some of the other towns in the area but will be travelling without a car.

I was thinking of Spoleto or Norcia.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 14:05
Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

Have you seen Bill Thayer's site? He's walked much of Umbria and has a comprehensive website (I don't have it on hand, but you could google it). I know he's used Umbertide as a base, as well as Spello (where I live). You can see what his routes were to find what would most appeal to you.

Best,

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, there's certainly some good info on his site - will check it out.

Regards

Ciaran

Lisciano Niccone...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

Try it:

www.marilenalacasella.com

and enjoy peace and nature.

Regards

Marilena

Edited: 31 May 2013, 15:34
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

From Norcia there are walking tracks to Scheggino, Cerreto di Spoleto, Cascia and Visso.I don't know if public transports serve Castelluccio in the summer, but if you can get to the Piano Grande Plateau could hike up to the Sibilla Grotto and Pilato lake just below the Vettore pic.

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

If you are into walking check out the San Fransiscan way which is a fully laid out route. We walk in southern umbria a lot and spoleto area would you get into the hills and nearer the Valnerina walking area. We walked above Norcia, but went there by car.

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

If you are into walking check out the San Fransiscan way which is a fully laid out route. We walk in southern umbria a lot and spoleto area would you get into the hills and nearer the Valnerina walking area. We walked above Norcia, but went there by car. See http://www.viadifrancesco.it/

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

http://www.viadifrancesco.it/ is a good web site

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

Spoleto's OK, but depending on what you mean by "walking in Umbria", Norcia is not. If you mean seeing Umbria, Norcia is not central, and the area within walking distance of it is sparsely populated, meaning long walks with not much to see.

If you like wilderness walks — which are usually far better in the big empty countries like the United States and Canada and Australia, frankly — then on the other hand Norcia is pretty good.

Spoleto is more central, but I can't recommend it much as a walker's base because it's surrounded on most sides by a lot of trafficky roads, which of course you'd have to navigate each time. (Similarly, and more so, Perugia is a very bad base for the walker.)

If you don't expect to be relying on the rail network to move you around to points from which you'd start walks in different areas, Todi, Bevagna, Bastardo, Massa Martana or San Gemini would be central, offer a good mix of sights and landscapes nearby, and the conveniences you might want in a homebase; although for Todi, from most directions, getting back home means negotiating a very steep hill, which isn't what we want after a long walk. If you expect to rely on the rail network to some extent, Acquasparta, Baiano di Spoleto, Deruta and to some extent Spello and Trevi (more hill on returning home, even from a train expedition) are ideas.

BT

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

I fully agree with spoleto assesment. It is central. Not sure if I sent it but look up the via di san francesco with walks between assisi / spoleto / rieti. If you want to be in the mountains etc. Look around Piediluco. You can walk straight into the fields and hills from there + lake. Small place 30 minutes south of spoleto. Alternative closer might be valnerina area just south of spoleto again.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: base for walking in Umbria?

Don't wanna go into a dispute but i 'd like to be precise and state that "every" cammino does not pass inside towns until the final destination, but only rounding by; in fact the itinerary among the Spoleto council area is limited on the eastern side behind the fortress going up to Monteluco ( where there is a Franciscan convent and few hermits inside the sacred wood. The valerian, where my mother is born, extends from north east to south east looking the map from Spoleto. Most important, camminos have very little in commom with crowd (population). The saturdays evening passeggio along corso Garibaldi in Spoleto is like being nestled in a fair

and Bevagna is close to to 2 very trafficked roads on two sides, the SS75 centrale umbra and the SS3 Flaminia