We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

We will be taking a day trip from Rome with wine tasting in Umbria. We would like to visit one of the towns either Orvieto, Perugia or Todi. Does anyone have a recommendation of which town to visit. I have been to Pienza and Montepulciano in Tuscany and loved the little villages so wanting to find a nice typical Umbrian village. Thank you.

1. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 12:32
Edited: 18 December 2014, 12:32
Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you confirming Orvieto as that is where I was leaning towards. Appreciate your time and feedback.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
773 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

I agree that Orvieto has practical advantages (it is easier to achieve in a day from Rome), but not the fact that Perugia has fewer attractions than Orvieto. Orvieto has some beautiful sights, and also highly concentrated in space, which facilitate the visit; but the importance of Perugia in past centuries was also higher, and can be deduced - among other things - by the grandeur of its built form. The fortress, the churches, the public palace, the museums, deserve more consideration in my opinion as it usually doesn't happen. I believe that Perugia can bear comparison with Siena.

…perugia.it/resources//Itinerari/GUIDA_Perug…

Brun066

Edited: 28 January 2014, 13:45
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Where will you go with your wine tour? If it's a Sagrantino wine tour and if you only want to experience the rural landscape then you can go visit Bevagna and Montefalco which are really small villages. For Perugia and Orvieto you need at least half a day just to stroll through the main sites.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Hi All,

Thanks so much for additional input. I think I have finalized the trip to do the following: leave Rome head straight to Montefalco for wine tasting then drive down to Orvieto to wonder around town - realizing we won't see it all but have time to get a sense of the town, have dinner in Orvieto then head back to Rome. Thanks again I do appreciate all the advice.

Umbria
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

You are never going to be able to do Rome - Montefalco - Orvieto - Rome in one day. The towns are further away than they look on the map, and the drive from Orvieto to Montefalco is brutal - basically almost 90 minutes of winding mountain roads. Just pick one town - Orvieto has amazing wines of their own and all of the enotecas will surely have the wines of Montefalco as well. Save the central valley area for another trip and enjoy your day.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Hi Jennifer,

Yikes, you have a point, thank you for letting me know this. We like red wine and it seems most of the wines near Orvieto are white wines so that is why we wanted to go to Montefalco. Is there a town near Montefalco that is not on a winding road that you would recommend over Orvieto? I guess I need to regroup again my thinking. Thanks so much for your input.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

If you leave early in the morning, around 8:00 a.m you will get to Montefalco around 10-10:30. You probabaly will want a cup of coffee and a little stroll aournd the piazza of the village. Note that to go to the wineries you will have to drive again so make sure to do some research or to have a GPS as they are not always easy to find. You can go to visit one winery before lunch, for example Fongoli, Antonelli, Di Filippo, Romanelli, Scacciadiavoli to name some of the nice ones. For lunch and as an opportunity to see another village you could go to Bevagna and eat at enoteca Onofri or Antiche Sere or Osteria del Podesta. Then back to one or two more wineries. After so much food and drinking you will probabaly be ready to go back to Rome may be with a stop over in Spoleto for dinner if you don't mind getting back late. Quite a bit of driving but feasible and rather wonderful.

NB. I don't have any commercial interests whatsoever in the wineries and restaurants mentioned above but I live locally and I know what they offer. All of them are probabaly reviews on TA so my info it's easy to verify :) .

Hawaii
Level Contributor
393 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

Hi madonnadelpiatto,

Thank you for contributing your insight, it is very much appreciated. I am happy so many of you have been offering ideas since I am having to rethink my original plan. We are a group of friends and family celebrating my birthday so I have hired a motor coach to drive us so we can relax, drink and enjoy our time. Actually four of the wineries you mentioned are on my list, so I'm happy to hear you confirm they are good choices. I was thinking of having lunch at one of the wineries but I will check out your recommendations along with the towns as well. Orvieto seems like such a lovely town and I did find a good winery near Orvieto but the area seems to specialize in whites and we do prefer red. Do you think it's a good choice to go to Montefalco? This is closer than Tuscany right?

Level Contributor
203 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Rome - Orvieto, Perugia or Todi?

The sagrantino di Montefalco wines are some the best central italian wines. If you love small villages and towns and you have transport I can recommend the Montefalco area and wines. If you come from Rome and time it right visit marmore waterfalls near terni. Check times when it is running.mthey divert the water for hydroelectrics. Website gives info. Towns worth visiting on the way are spoleto and todi. Some wonderful buildings and sights. Rocca in spoleto, etc worth seeing. Maximise time exploring and focus on south umbria to Montefalco area. If you come from Rome and relaxed, go via rieti, stop at piediluco for lunch stroll along the lake, over the mountains via Arrone to spoleto, spend afternoon and morning there. Go to Montefalco area for a day and go back to rome.