We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

J B
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

My husband & I are currently planning our trip to Italy in April & will have a rental car. The current plan is to leave from Asciano & then head somewhere in Umbria for 1 or 2 nights before we head off to Orvieto. We are looking for a interesting small town with great handicrafts, shopping or some other unique experience to the area. I was looking at the Petrified Forest in Dunarobba, but was thinking might be too far away. Appreciate any suggestions.

J B
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

Trying again

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,928 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

We stayed in Cortona and did a day trip over to Gubbio. We loved the town and felt it was one of the real highlights of our entire stay. Its about all I know about Umbria, so I can't be much help, but thought I'd mention it.

J B
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

Thanks very much for your input, I'll have a look at that.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

The first thing that came to my mind was Deruta - for their ceramics...but I don't know as I would stay there, it is very tiny but nice for a day visit...Maybe stay somewhere near Gubbio or Assisi...

Paciano, Italy
Level Contributor
466 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

My town of Paciano is a medieval hill town with a local church which just celebrated 1000 years of life! Staying here or nearby will give you the "Italian country life"experience in a medieval village.

In March of this year, the TrasiMemo Museum was opened here in Paciano. Located in the 16th Century Palazzo Baldeschi,It is dedicated to the "handicrafts of Umbria" which traditionally including woodworking, metal works, ceramics and lace-making/weaving. A small gift area has been established which features the work of local artisans. By next April, there will be more activity as classes/demonstrations of these crafts go from 3 a week to several.

Go on line and look up Paciano, Panicale, Citta della Pieve. Lots of places to create a "base" which will put you within an hour's drive of Montepulciano,Pienza,Chiusi,Perugia, Cortona, Asissi,Orvieto, Deruta. You will find local craft items in all of these places.

J B
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

It sounds wonderful Thank you so much!!!!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

If you decide on Gubbio, stay at the Relais Ducale. Spoleto is a beautiful walled town with many shops also. Hotel San Luca there is wonderful.

Cortona stay at the wonderful Villa Di Piazzano right on the border of Tuscany and Umbria. 2.5 miles from city center.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Looking for cobblestone town with unique handicrafts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16