We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location fro townhouse rental?

Indianapolis
10 posts
Save Topic
location fro townhouse rental?

We are planning to rent a townhouse in or near Tuscany, and I'm finding most places for rent are out in the country or in large cities. We would prefer to be in a medium-sized town. We like to be able to walk out the door and feel like we live there, and go to its markets and shops. We have found places like that in Orvieto and in Chiusi. Any opinion on these locations (or which might be better)? They are not the central Tuscany we were hoping for, but I'm sure there is plenty to see and do nearby. We will have a car.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

First of all, you would have better results for a place in Tuscany if you asked your question in the Tuscan forums...this forum is for Umbria-the central region of Italy.

I have an apartment in Assisi that I rent out as vacation rental for short term....a place where you can walk outside your door and be right in the middle of a beautiful (see recent posts) ancient hilltop village....and there are many others in my area you can view on

http://www.vrbo.com.

But if you want Tuscany...check the map and pick a few cities that interest you and post on those specific forum pages.

Buon Viaggio!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

Stay here in Umbria!

All of the beauty of Tuscany and fewer tourists....!

Know many people who have discovered the "undiscovered" medieval gems, ie, Narni, Bevagna, Montefalco, Spello, Norcia?

...and then of course there are the better-known hiltown gems of our bellissima Umbria, ie., Assisi, Orvieto, Spoleto,...........

The region of Umbria is only 6 % valley and the rest is hills, mountains.....majesty! majesty!

also, rents for lodgings of all sorts - whether hotel or agriturismo or rented apt or rented vill - are less here in Umbria than in Tuscany.

But watch out: people are quickly discovering the beauty of our area .......so settle in quickly!

I certainly know places here where you can walk out the door and go to markets and shops.....

Assisi - central to discovery of all hilltowns mentioned and about an hour from so. Tuscan hilltowns.................

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

I don't know exactly what you are planning to do during your stay. Do you just want the experience of living in a medium-sized Italian town, or do you also want to be near certain tourist sites, like Florence and Siena?

I recently spent a week in the Orcia valley in Tuscany, which might be considered a bit more "central" than Orvieto or Chiusi. We stayed in a hotel just outside the walls of the hilltown of San Quirico d'Orcia. In addition to the small shops of the town, we had a medium sized supermarket, as well as a greengrocer and bakery nearby. I noticed that on our road there were a lot of new homes, some of them apparently rented out as vacation villas. San Quirico is a pretty small town, so I'm not sure it would fall into your "medium" category. The walled part of the town, which was about a five-minute walk from us, was lovely. It is near the towns of Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, Pienza and Montepulciano. As I recall, it's about a 45 minute drive to Siena.

I also spent a week in the southeast corner of Umbria in Norcia, which is larger and might be more of a "medium" town. I don't know how many vacation rentals there are within the walls of the town, as it seems to still be pretty much an Italian town. It is on the edge of the Sybilline Mountains National Park and a lot of people go there for summer and winter sports, hiking, hunting, hang-gliding, etc. I think staying there would be a very authentic experience. However, it is a bit of a drive to many of the things people want to do in Umbria -- Assissi, Spello. We went to both Spoleto and Assissi from there, but I would say it was a good hour's drive, maybe more to Assissi, partially through the spectacular area known as the Valnerina, where there are some lovely small towns. Spoleto is also wonderful -- this might be more what you're looking for. I think the population is in the 25,000 - 30,000 range. It is very pretty and well situated for visiting other areas of Umbria and southern Tuscany. It also has a train station that connects it to Rome, as well as Assisi and other places.

gallstone
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

Visited Assisi once-loved it. My wife and I would like to rent a villa (or other suitable accomodation) for an extended stay in Umbria (2 weeks or so). Any help with this (esp AssisiAnne or alaskaitaly but all others thanks as well!) is much appreciated...this would be sometime within the next 2 years as we are going to Greece this coming year...

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

Gallstone...you can check out the website.

http://www.vrbo.com/49877

Also, check on HomeAway websites - they have many listings in Umbria for rent.

6. Re: location fro townhouse rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:18