We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Italy?

Philadelphia
1 post
Save Topic
Christmas in Italy?

Hi-I am interested in spending Christmas and New Years in Italy, specifically Assisi, Perugia and possibly Ascoli Piceno. What is it like there in the holiday season? Does everything close? HELP!

Thank you.

j. Gabriel

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Italy?

I'm an American who has been living in Assisi for the last four years. Assisi, the home of St. Francis and St. Claire is especially busy at Christmas time. There are many pagents, church festivities, mangers, etc. Many of the hotels and private accomodations do book during this time.

Stores and shops are open.

I have a beautiful apartment within the city walls, with parking, that I rent out when I am traveling. If you'd like to take a look at mine, and others that are for rent, please go to-

http://www.vrbo.com my posting is #49877 I give discounts for longer stays. or you can email me at: connieconcetta@hotmail.com if you have any questions. I'm pleased to help those visiting this lovely, peaceful city!

Now-as to Perugia (university town)...stores are open, things are not quite as "festive" as they are in Assisi because it is a bigger place. I am unfamilar with Ascoli Piceno-sorry.

Have a fabulous trip-

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Italy?

Xmas in Italy doesn't have the same lead up and atmosphere that it does it other countries.

It's the one time of the year that I cann't wait tpo get away from Italy and really feel the Xmas spirit. New Year is the same with many last minute events taking place with no real planning behind it.

New Year for the Italians seems to be great fun if you go to the local square and let of some bangers--------wow!!!!!!

Beam me up Mr. Spock and let me have Xmas and New Year well away from Italy!!!!!!!!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Italy?

I agree that Christmas is not the same as the States...but, then again, why go to another country if you want it to be the same as where you live?

Christmas is different here-Italy is a Catholic country-thusly, they celebrate in different style. Christmas is more about family here, in this part of Italy. I can not speak for any where else in Italy. It is much quieter! They celebrate till January 6 - and have a tradition here of the "Christmas witch" who brings children things in her bag. In the Piazza del Comune-you see the witch and Santa Claus side by side in festivities...welcome to the children who don't really care where their candy and gifts come from-just so they come!!!

New Years we have fireworks, champagne, dancing and all the rest.

There are many of the American "things" drifting into the culture.

Amusingly, I watched an older lady-around 85-bent over with a cane, standing at a department store. She and her companion were watching, with disdain, a 3 foot tall Santa Claus statue singing an American Christmas song (Rudolf or some sort) and jiggle everytime she hit it irreverantly with her cane!

In Assisi, there are beautiful candelight processions thru the piazza, midnight mass in the tiny, ancient churches where the villagers line up to kiss the statue of the baby Jesus held by the priest out in the courtyard, pine boughs and fruit strung across the door arches, special pastas in brodo (broth)....people buy the traditional cake in cart fulls to give to friends and family...

I do sometimes miss the American spectacle-and all of the bustle-but I live in two different worlds...America and Italy...and find both to offer me something of value.

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Italy?

I don't think that being a Catholic country has anything to do with it really as many many Italians never go to church and when they do I have often had to remind them that it's a sacred building and not the market place.

I actually don't mean the American style Xmas, firstly because I'm not American. What I do miss is the sacred part of the celebrations, even on T.V. it doesn't seem like Xmas o.k. the call girls who present the various variety shows may wear red Santa hats and very little else but not much in the way of Xmas music or anything else really.

I do agree that it's a family time but then isn't Xmas a family time all round the world. Getting back to the original thread as to wither from a tourist point of view there's much of a xmas spririt, I would say that somewhere like Austria would give more than Italy at this time of year but then that's only my opinion.