We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi Website

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi Website

I just came across this website of Assisi information - both English and Italian versions with lovely photos and some good info...

http://www.assisiweb.com/index_en.html

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi Website

yes a good site for a quick reference so have popped it into the favs in Umbria.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi Website

well...at least the info seems pretty corrrect..... but the English...mammma mia

Anoother translation, alas, NOT done by a mother-tongue translator.

Oh, well, makes it more fun to read...and taxes the brain a bit. For ex: The façade of the church is constituted only by a portal surmounted by a seventeenth-century fresco raffigurante three Saints attributed to Dono Doni.

The church has a structure on an only aisle.

The insides are in Romanesque style.

(I esp love "raffigurante"...for non-Italian speakers, means "representing"

...and I love "the insides" - got me thinking more in the line of liver, spleen...etc....

GRIN)

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi Website

Have not read the entire site, due to lack of time . but...caution: all historical info on this site is certainly NOT correct, eg, (when speaking of Via San Francesco - called on the site "St. Francis Street"...!!!!!!!!!):

"By the street - besides a lot of small craft shops - there are Palazzo Giacobetti (the seat of the municipal library, where the original text of the Laudes Creaturarum [The Canticle of the Creatures] is kept"

No - not here - all documents directly related to St. Clare and St. Francis are in the Biblioteca del Sacro Convento (Franciscan monastery library - scholars may consult all volumes with written permission)

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi Website

Of course the website has errors in translation - but I liked the photos and the perspectives it gives. I can see they may have used a computer translation service - thus 'via San Francesco' is stated as St. Francis Street ...

One of the most favored websites for Assisi info - which has often been referenced on this forum is- www.assisionline.com - but I thought it would be nice to offer some others.

Frankly, I've never seen any post requesting information on the municipal library in Assisi, so, I don't think that is going to throw most of our posters.

If any of our forum members have favorite websites for Assisi and/or Umbria - please share!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi Website

Alask,a, agreed: let us seek out better sites with Assisi info...

as even the info on site mentioned regarding the Basilica is historically incorrect, eg,

The Lower and the Upper Basilicas are joint by a stair which is in the left transept.

Some fresco-decorations followed to the architectural building: first some of Cimabue (1277) in the left transept (Frescoes from 27 to 32); then some of Giotto (1269), who started his big painting series of "Stories of Saint Francis", composed of 28 works of art (Frescoes from 3 to 16 and from 33 to 46).

...will start the hunt for more authoritative sites!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assisi Website

AAnne....Do not lose sight of the common Traveller as we are all not readers of the great pile of internecine trammels of forgotten religious/art/battles or such like.

One can become bogged down in the minutiae of Assisian history when in fact we love to visit ,suck in and carry on touring.

The sites with the KISS theory meet the means of Joe normal.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assisi Website

Right!

There are those who are eager for correct information on the art and history of Assisi -...and wherevery they go...and those who just wish to "suck in and carry on touring."

Different websites for different sorts.

I agree!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assisi Website

.......................and how about this?

one-evil.org/people/people_13c_Pietro_di_Ber…

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Re: Assisi Website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:17