We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

If you are in Umbria at Eastertime, do not miss the Processione del Cristo Morto ("Dead Christ Procession') which winds its way through the medieval streets just after dark (starts at 7 30 from the Cathedral of San Rufino)...hooded figures, barefoot - some with crowns of thorns on their heads- drag heavy wooden crosses as the religious and the local people chant medieval lauds...............

Treviso, Italy
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been scouring the internet (even on the italian website...I speak a little italian) looking for info on this processional and have only found general info. We are in Umbria staying in Foligna from the 1st to the 5th of April, and I really want to see this processional. We will have our 3 kids with us...any recommendations for where to stand? What time should we arrive? How long does it last? (need to set expectations for kids). Also we were wondering where would be a good place to eat beforehand. Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, just excited to have found some info.

2. Re: Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 03:05
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

Also, wonderful for the children is the "Ciucciata" as I believe it is called - in Montefalco- we took our children when small.

Two people, each holding a hard-boiled egg-, try to break the egg of the other without cracking their own....

Easter Monday in MOntone also wonderful...as is EAster Monday in Scheggina....believe each town will have info on these festivals on sites...

and the running of the Risen Christ out of the Bevagna church Easter Sun a.m. is quite something...

4. Re: Good Friday in Assisi, hauntingly beautiful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:17