We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
High Point, NC
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

I am looking forward to traveling to Assisi, but am a bit nervous about the holiday.

First, if I arrive at 8pm (via train), will it be difficult to get transportation to the city center? Or do buses run continuously? When departing the following evening (May 1) is there a holiday transportation schedule that is more limited than normal days?

Also, given that May 1 is a national holiday, are there any must-see sights that are not open, or have shorter hours? Would most tour operators be available that day as well?

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

I am afraid you will be late for the bus but you can always find a taxi. If you are unlucky and there are no taxi in front of the station, call your hotel and ask them to send you one.

Assisi is a small place, you don't really need a tour operator to see it, however if you wish to join a tour you can contact the local association of tourist guides www.assoguide.it/portale//… and book in advance.

You should be able to see everything but keep in mind that only restaurants and shop that cater to tourist will be open, all the rest will be closed. For more travel info please check the various links available on this page

incampagna.com/incampagnaENGL/Travel_informa…

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

I have to disagree about the bus...

the buses run till nearly midnight - so catching one should not be a problem at your time of arrival.

Recently someone posted this recommendation on the forum:

'In Assisi, we hired Daniela Moretti to guide us...She is a real character and very accomodating. She has a real passion for the history of the area and the spirituality of Assisi." Daniela's email is: danyguide@hotmail.com

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

I must admit I had looked the bus schedule online and only found that they run until 8:00 p.m. Good to know they run late.

Yes, I know Daniela, she gets great reviews.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

Buses running on May 1st as usual.

Check train schedules, though: they change on holidays.

Assisi will be full of Italians, due to the holiday.

All stores, restaurants will be open til late late.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

May 1st in Bevagna is magical - for its festival "Arte in Tavola", ie, "Art of the Table"

6. Re: Assisi on May 1-Tours and transportation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:16