We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

I am planning to have a weekend in Assisi and would like to attend a Sunday Mass in St Francis Church. Having checked the website of the Church there would be English Mass at 12nn, does anyone can help me confirm whether I need to make reservation in order to get an entrance to the Mass?

Thank you very much for your help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

I believe you only need reservations for tours. Mass is first come first serve.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

You'll have no problems attending mass in any church in Assisi.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

Thank you very much!

Do I need to arrive much earlier to secure for a seat in the mass? Since this is my first & only time attending mass in Italy I really don't want to miss it!

Besides St Francis, would you be able to recommend any Churches that are worth going? I only have 1 day time in Assissi so want to make sure i'm not missing the most valuable thing!!

Thanks once again! God bless you!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

anyone can attend...did not know there was a Mass in English..but Mass schedule in the Basilica di San Francesco on Sundays is as follows:

7 30

10 30

noon -

5 pm aft.

be sure to check if Mass in Upper or Lower Basilica

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

My favorites- San Damiano and San Stefano

Take some time to look up the information on line about these churches - to get a better understanding of their significance historically/spiritually - and then - when visiting - just allow the feeling of their presence fill you.

Though San Damiano can get busy with tourists - they come and go quite quickly. Try San Damiano for vespers or mass - even though it is in Italian, it can be quite special. You don't have to understand Italian to receive the blessings.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

sanfrancescoassisi.org/…newsummersch

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

Thank you very much for your help!

As advised by my hotel, I am considering to attend the Mass at Di Santa Maria Degli Angeli which is quite close to our hotel and there are Mass for every hour so that I can finish Mass earlier in the morning then continue for my visits to the Northern part of Assisi. I read from travel guide this looks to be a very big church. Would this be a good idea?

Yeah I love our holy church~ I don't need to know exactly the language but definitely can understand what's going on! So I don't mind attending Italian mass!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

Santa Maria degli Angeli is not Assisi - I consider it more of suburb :) It is about 4 km from Assisi.

The church you are speaking of is the Porziuncola. It is a church within a church. You can begin to read about this church at:

bellaumbria.net/Assisi/porziuncola_eng.htm

Then go on to do more reading as there is much to learn about this church and its place in the life and death of St. Francis.

Me, I prefer the smaller churches I recommended in a previous post, but the Porziuncola is certainly to be on your "must visit list".

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

Would most definitely suggest you stay up in the bellissimo medieval hilltown of Assisi..not down in the suburb area you mention, ie, S: Maria degli Angeli.

Lovely hotels in medieval Assisi of all rates

Pls note: much hotter and muggier in S. M.Angeli in the summer!

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday Mass in Assisi St Francis Church

"Pls note: much hotter and muggier in S. M.Angeli in the summer!"

She lives in Hong Kong. ;-)