We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

For those staying in Rome and coming to Assisi via train, you will be taking train from Termini: watch out as the trains to Assisi now leave from Track 1 or 2 "estensione", ie, an extenstion of the track...you will need to walk out of the station about 200 yds, following the tracks.,

Get there EARLY and ask personnel in uniform about the train to Assisi.

Inspite of living here in Assisi 40 yrs + and speaking Italian, I almost missed the train due to this mad, crazy new departure point

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Hi Anne,

Just wondering...is that the same train we would be on if we were getting off in Foligno?

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Yes, same train

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

I always advise travellers to board the Assisi-bound train at Tiburtina Station, rather than at Termini, if convenient to do so (e.g. if arriving from FCO airport). Termini Station can be a bit intimidating for the uninitiated (and require a good set of legs).

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Agreed: from airport, change at Tiburtina..but if staying in Rome, travelers will board at Termini..and in such case, the new departure points for Assisi-bound trains are very confusing

NY
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

This also seems to apply for direct train from Assisi back to Rome, did that last week (Oct) and seemed like a two mile walk in to the Termini, out in the weather. Also, heard that in Germany they fix the track # a year in advance, in Italy sometimes 5 minutes in advance - no lack of excitement.

Palmer, Alaska
Level Contributor
57 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Do you know if you still get on the Assisi train at the Termini station? Do they still leave from Track 1 or 2 'estensione' ? Three friends and I will be going from Rome to Assisi this coming May. Your posts had been from Aug. of 2010 and I was hoping all had been simplified.

Palmer, Alaska
Level Contributor
57 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Do you know if you still get on the Assisi train at the Termini station? Do they still leave from Track 1 or 2 'estensione' ? Three friends and I will be going from Rome to Assisi this coming May. Your posts had been from Aug. of 2010 and I was hoping all had been simplified.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

bump

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

I returned to Italy last week. I took the train from the airport to Termini and the platform (Eurostar to Assisi at 8 p.m.) was Bin 1. It was a LONG HIKE.

There are no carts to transport baggage in the station - so be prepared!

boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: watch out if coming to Assisi by train from Rome

Please Explain the trek from the Rome airport to either of the train statioins you mention. I believe one can get a train from the airport to the Termini...I am unfamiliar with the other station. We will be heading north to Spoleto, which I believe is on the same line as to Foligno/Assisi. I have read with interest about the "extension" at the termini to look out for. Thanks for clarification, anyone!

Get answers to your questions about Assisi