We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spoleto to Assisi

boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spoleto to Assisi

Will be staying in Spoleto for a few days. Would like to take day trip to Assisi and another day trip to Perugia. Would it be easier to go by bus or by train? I understand some trains require a transfer, and some trains stations require a bus to get to the historic center. I'm thinking a bus would be more "streamline", but on the other hand, do they wind around and make a lot of stops, making the trip longer? Decisions, Decisions!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spoleto to Assisi

From Spoleto to Assisi, you often(but not always) have to change trains in Foligno. Even if you do change trains, the whole trip is less than an hour. From the station in Assisi, there is a bus that takes you up into the center of town. When I've used it, it was waiting for the train to arrive, and it got to the center of town very quickly. This is, in my opinion, the best way to do the trip.

Perugia is usually a few stops further on from Assisi on the same trains. The travel time is a little over an hour. I've never gone to Perugia by train, so I don't know where the station is with respect to the center of town.

The same trains also stop in Spello (before Assisi), which is also a lovely town. Again, I've only gone there by car, so I don't know how the connections from the station are.

You can see the train schedules here:

http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Put in a date in the next week or so, because they don't show information about regional trains very far in advance. The direct trains are early in the morning.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 16:03
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spoleto to Assisi

if you go to Perugia by train make sure to exit at Perugia Fontivegge train station, not earlier.

Walk out of the station, turn left and walk to the Minimetrò station.

The Minimetro is a railcar that will bring you to the historic centre in less than 10 min. quick, easy and convenient.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spoleto to Assisi

Just to add a note to previous post: buses meet all trains at Perugia station.

Take the bus up to Piazza Italia...and then head to Tourist Office in Via Baglioni for info on the town.

Suggestion, if you are touring on own without a local guide, purchase the book always available specific to each town (in Umbria, these books cost about 8 e - you can discard before heading on if you do not want extra weight in your baggage). Generic guide books on Italy give meagre info on each town

4. Re: Spoleto to Assisi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Assisi