We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English mass in or near Assisi

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
English mass in or near Assisi

My husband and I are in Assisi the 2nd week of August, and I would like to attend a mass while there. I have heard that Assisi is swarming with pilgrims on Sundays, and so would be interested in any churches - either Assisi churches that are less attended, or churches in the surrounding villages. We will have a car. It would be nice if the mass were in English, but neat, too, to attend one in Italian. Do any locals feel like taking me to church with them? :)

In all seriousness, I would be eager for suggestions.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

sanfrancescoassisi.org/…newsummersch

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

The Upper Basilica of Saint Francis has an English mass at 9 AM on Sundays. I don't think any outlying villages would have masses in English.

Here is a mass schedule of other churches in Assisi proper:

http://www.assisiweb.com/assisi_messe_it.html

I think it might be nice to attend mass in the Church of San Damiano.

Here is a list of parishes in the diocese of Assisi. Most of them have links and web pages for further information.

http://www.chiesainumbria.it/diocesi/assisi/

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

I would love to go to San Damiano. Could somebody please help me to translate their Mass times from the schedule that bvlenci has provided a link for? I am getting a general idea, but I can't be sure.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

Mass on weekdays

January 2011 - 26. March 2011 7.30am

27March 2011 - 29. October 2011

30. October 2011 - 31. December 2011

Praises from Monday to Saturday – 7am

Vespers 5pm

January 2011 - 26. March 2011

Vespers 7pm

27. March 2011 - 29. October 2011

Mass – Sundays and Holy days 7.30am and 9.30 am

January 2011 - 26. March 2011

27. March 2011 - 29. October 2011

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

The service details look a little odd... the 'ora legale' and 'ora solare' correspond to the English : Greenwich and British summer time, when the clocks are put forward and back .... but I don't know what you'd call it otherwise. I don't know if you have a similar system in your country !

It might explain it better by saying that 'vespers' takes place at 5pm in the winter months and at 7pm in the summer months.

I think we could say that the Mass times are the same both winter and summer, but the official time table does seem to make it look more complicated !!!

Hope this helps !

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

In Italy, "ora legale" means summer time, or Daylight Savings time. "Ora solare" means standard time, or winter time. Greenwich time has nothing to do with it, other than being the base for all the time zones in the world. I would translate this as:

Holy communion weekdays (meaning Monday through Saturday, other than religious feast days) year round 7:30 AM

Lauds Monday through Saturday 7:00 AM

Vespers Standard time 5 PM

Vespers daylight savings time 7 PM

Holy Communion Sundays and Feast days, year round 7:30 AM and 9:30 AM

The page recommends calling to confirm mass times. The phone numbers are on this page:

www.assisiweb.com/assisi_telefoni_it.html

However, there's a "0" missing after the +39 on all the phone numbers for calling from outside Italy. In other words, when calling from outside Italy, the number should be +39 following by the number on the line below, which has the 0. This change was made about 15 years ago, which makes me wonder how up-to-date the whole web site is.

By the way, you can usually get a pretty decent translation of any web page by pasting the URL into this site:

translate.google.com

It even translates the pages that the original page has links for.

7. Re: English mass in or near Assisi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Assisi