We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trips from Assisi

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Side Trips from Assisi

I will be returning to Assisi this week for 4 days and would like to do a half day trip (via train) to a nearby town and am considering Perugia, Spoleto or Spello. Am moicst interested in historical aspects & churches.

Any suggestions or insight on which town to visit ???? I have browsed thru the web, but would appreciate any TA feedback.

Sorry for such a broad question ........Thanks !

IMB

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

thinking Perugia is best to fill in a halfday as Spello is small and Spoleto can be in all states of repair (did not go this years so not up to speed on Spoleto).

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

I think Spoleto is best for your tour. Beautiful walled town, full of history, excellent trattorias and interesting sights.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

Thanks for the advice. I will be in Assisi 4-5 days, so I might end up taking a couple of side trips

IMB

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

.....if you have time then head around bevagna....montefalco on way to spoleto

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

Also,

If you have a car, a little further down the road, past Spoleto, is Norcia. A different type of visit than previously mentioned. A village known for its food, food shops and displays. Sausages, cheeses, truffles, oils, pates and interesting & delicious treats are everywhere and small trattorias. We found Norcia most interesting and unusual.

6. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 01:05
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

I WALKED to Spello from Assisi, down a road called the "Path of Olives" (I forget what the Italian translation was). It was a bit confusing finding it and I got a bit lost but was put back on track by some locals. The bookstore in Assisi, right across from the tourist office, has a great selection of maps. The walk takes several hours but it is BEAUTIFUL! A great way to appreciate Umbria

COAL HARBOUR
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

Like to know just how long it took you. I'am a fit 50 year old, Husband a very very fit 73 year old. we do a lot of walking. Just what is the kil/ miles between? Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
362 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

Would love to open up this thread. Does anyone have info on walking from Assisi to Spello? We would love to do this walk in April 2013.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side Trips from Assisi

It's 24 km from Assisi to Spello. if you Google "Sentiero degli Ulivi" you will find the info you need.

Sorry I haven't yet figured out how to copy and paste on the iPad,