We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
13 posts
Save Topic
Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

We will be taking the train from Rome to Assisi and wanted to rent a car for the next two weeks from Assisi. It appears that the number one car rental recommended - autoeurope - does not have a rental outlet in Assisi. Can anyone recommend an Assisi based car rental which has good reviews?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

To pick up in Assisi and drop off in Venice, you will need one of the major rental companies. If AutoEurope does not list an office in Assisi, then none of the major companies has an office there.

You will have to change your plans so as to pick up somewhere that does have an office of a major company. I think Perugia would be the closest.

Or pick up in Rome and drive to Assisi.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

There is a car rental company in Assisi, but not sure they allow oneway hire.

Car rental in Rome or Perugia as Nick has mentioned www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
168 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

If I remember correctly, you won't be able to rent from a major company in Assisi. Perugia is your most likely bet.

We've rented one-way in both Milan (drop-off in Padova) and Rome (drop-off in Florence) from Avis and Hertz respectively.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

You can rent cars from major companies either in Perugia or in Foligno - and both are about 20 mins by train from Assisi

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
438 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

I'm renting in Padova & returning to Verona. Originally I was going to rent in Venice & return to Verona -- no probs and it did NOT cost anything additional for a different drop off because I was returning it to a popular spot for rentals.

What I found is that you need to be very clear on what is required and what is not.

(1) Required: international driver's license. You may not be asked for it -- but if you are & you don't have it...You can get it inexpensively at the AutoClub (AAA)

(2) Required - theft protection (inexpensive)

(3) Optional - other insurnace. In my case I called my Visa providor & they told me that if I use their card to rent the car in Italy, I HAVE TO refuse the rental car's insurance or theirs becomes invalid. This is the expensive insurance - - can make the cost of your rental go up by 50% so it's worth checking with Visa to see if your card provides coverage. WARNING: I had a girl in the Frankfurt train station insist on me taking the coverage. I refused. She printed out another contract -- with the same coverage! I didn't know that -- but I knew enough to write on the contract: INSURANCE REFUSED-COVERED BY VISA. When I got home they tried to sock me for $1,000 of insurance but in the end had to back down because of what i had written on the form!

(4) I have rented from EuropeCar, AutoEurope, and EasyCar. This time I went with Hertz because they were the easiest to negotiate renting without the additional insurnace -- and their price was very competitive!

(5) If there are only two of you -- get a SMALL CAR -- the streets can be VERY narrow and you will want to manuever them!

(6) Gas/Petrol is VERY expensive right now in Italy so you'll be doubly glad you got a small car!

(7) I take a very thin black "car blanket" with me when I travel. I use it for cat-naps but ALSO because it's easy to toss over miscellaneous stuff you may have in the back seat -- serving as an invisibility cloak to deter thieves (another reason not to get a plush car!)

Hope that is helpful!

6. Re: Can I Rent a Car in Assisi and Drop off in Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:42