We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Must See"s in Assisi area

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
"Must See"s in Assisi area

Still at the planning stages for next years solo trip to Italy. I know I'm going to be spending 3 to 4 days in and around Assisi before heading North to Lucca. Obviously I want to see everything in Assisi in connection with St. Francis , but what else would be best to fill my time. I had read about Spoleto which looks quite nice and also considered Perugia as a day trip. All suggestions most welcome !

Thanks,

Nicola

1. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 00:05
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

The Assisi area is the PERFETTO place for exploration of Umbrian and southern Tuscan hilltowns. From Assisi, you can explore the following HILLTOWN GEMS (listed below, followed by driving time from Assisi - locations preceded by * are accessible by train):

*Perugia - 20 mins

*Spello - 15 mins

*Spoleto - 40 min

*Lake Trasimeno (lovely lakeside towns to discover, eg, Panicale, Castiglione del Lago, etc) - 50 min - 1 hr

*Narni (what a gem - a personal favorite) - 1 hr - best by car so that you can return via Ferentillo, S. Pietro in Valle, Scheggino - spectacular drive

Orvieto - 1 -1/4 hrs (train takes over 2 hrs as not a direct route)

Deruta - 20 mins

Torgiano - 20 mins

Bettona (tiny gem) - 20 mins

Todi - 50 mins

Norcia (and all the Nera River Valley is STUPENDA)- 50 min

Bevagna- 30 min

Montefalco 40 min

Gubbio 50 mins

Città della Pieve - 1 hr

................all of the above in Umbria

...........and in so. Tuscany:

Cortona - 1 hr

Montepulciano - about 50 mins

Pienza - about 50 mins

Montalcino - 1 hr?

Siena - 1 - 1/4 hrs (and buses daily to and from Asissi)

S. Quirico D'Orcia - 1 hr.?

................AND

Rome and Florence each about 2 - 2 - 1/2 hrs by train and trains frequently . about every 2 hrs......

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

Thanks to both of you for all the great information - makes me wish I had more time to spend there now...I will be travelling by train only, no car. Lake Trasimeno sounds interesting. What are the names of the railway stations in that area that I would get off at to explore ? Is it quite "pedestrian friendly" where I can wander without worry and maybe sit by the lake and enjoy the views ? Is it worth spending the night there ?

thanks again,

Nicola

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

If you get off at Passignano, you can take ferry out to the large island in middle, Isola Maggiore - ferries about every hour in the spring.

When will you be there?

Sweet little village on the island..

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

It will be sometime during the last two weeks in September. Will the ferry still be running then ? Is there a website with ferry times ?

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

/wish you could be in Assisi for Oct 4th, Feast of St. Francis!

YES, ferries in Sept

northeast u.s.
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

We are 4 seniors travelling together and will be in Rome 5/12 and 5/13. We would like to take a trip to Assisi on 5/13 and plan on seeing the Basilica di San Francisco and San Damiano. What is the best way of traveling from Rome - by train of bus? Once in Assisi, what is the best way of seeing these 2 sites? Are cabs plentiful at the train station or are there sightseeing buses?

Any suggestions? Strenuous walking would not work for us. Would we have time to see anything else in Assisi assumig we have about 7 hours before heading back to Rome. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

You can take train to Assisi as trains leave every hour...but watch out: trains from Track 2 EST usually, ie, an extension of track 2...200 yds walk or so from the station....You can get cab or bus when arriving up to Assisi.Cab about 15 E.

S. Chiara and San Rufino closed 12 to 2 pm but the Basilica di San Francesco open all day...

San Damiano a short walk outside center.... i think closed 12 to 2 as well / can check for you. Assisi very walkable.

With a cab, see the Hermitage - on the mt / 15th monastery built over the site of the caves where San Francesco withdrew for prayer in the early 13th c.

Do see the main square, Piazza del Comune and Roman temple 1st BC to Minerva in main square.

northeast u.s.
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful.

One question: when you are talking about Track 2, are you talking from Rome or in Assisi?

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Must See"s in Assisi area

from Rome