We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Assisi train

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Assisi train

Hello,

I arrive in Rome airport next week about 11am I am planning on catching a train from Rome to Assisi where I will be staying. Just wondering if it is cheaper to book in advance or is it more convenient to buy one the day?

I had a look on the trenitalia website for a train around 1pm from Rome to Assisi but they seemed quite expensive and I wasn't sure how to read the different times. Does anyone know what the average price for a ticket is also for that trip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sinead

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Assisi train

If you are travelling next week, it is unlikely that any big discounts will still be available. Tickets have been on sale since March and all the really cheap tickets will have been sold long ago.

There is no "average price": the price for each journey, and the places you have to change, are clearly shown on Trenitalia.

Turin
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Assisi train

Did you click the UK flag? I did and I can see regionale trains tickets from Roma Termini to Assisi (11:28 - 13:59) at 9.9 Euros. The most expensive solution involves an Intercity and costs 23,8 Euros

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Assisi train

Hi thanks for your quick reply :)

I just had a look and there seems to be one at 14.23 I could get. Where it should say the price it says "The regional travel solution is not purchasable if the travel solution departure date is after 7 days from current date"

Do you know if they are the same price on the day in the train station? Or if I buy it online in advance do I just take a print out of the receipt with me? :)

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Assisi train

If you are arriving by air it is not a good idea to book in advance as if your plane is late you may miss your booked train. As most connections are by Regional trains with no reserved seats and no advance discounts, there is no point in advance purchase.

Connections from Roma Termini to Assisi entirely by Regional train are very cheap at only €9.90 The rare connections which use an Intercity train for all or part of the way are more expensive.

If arriving at Fiumicino Aeroporto, the price of the train into Roma Termini will bring the fare up to €23.90 if you change trains at Roma Termini. If you take a slower cheaper train and change at Roma Tiburtina instead, the total fare is €17.50

See www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag for English and entering your 'hour' of departure. Fares for Regional trains are only shown seven days in advance but do not change.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Assisi train

Hi thank you for your reply :)

Ok, I think I will purchase a ticket on the day. I arrive in Rome Ciampino so I have to get the bus from there to the train station and then the train to assisi. How long does it take by bus from rome ciampino to rome train station do you know?

Turin
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Assisi train

As I wrote cheapest tickets to Assisi cost 9,9 . You can't get them more than 7 days in advance, but that's the price, on line or at the station you'll pay 9,9 .

On regional trains there are no discounts and no reserved seats. You can buy these tickets at any trenitalia station,a travel agent that displays trenitalia's logo on the window or on line, but in this case you have to print them before boarding.

HK
Level Contributor
3 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome to Assisi train

Agree, with you, I was there last week booked the Regionale Train on the day at the ticket machine.

The direct connection to Assisi from Rome Termini at 7.58 am cost about 10 EUR 20 cents one way for a 2hr 20 mins journey.

8. Re: Rome to Assisi train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 07:17