We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Hi- I,ve not yet traveled to Italy but am planning on arriving in Rome at the end of March 2007. I would like to spend four nights there and on the fifth morning leave for Assisi just for the day and then head to Venice late afternoon. Does that sound possible? Any advice for this timid traveler?? Thank you

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Nope- even if it is possible - why bother????

Assisi is good for at least 2 days of wandering - check the train schedules to see what time the train leaves from Assisi to Venice - you normally have to change in Firenze - all day train journey - (suppose there may be one overnight)...

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

I totally agree with Alaskaitaly on this point. Assisi is a dream of a city and definitely should be seen in no less than two days, preferably more!!!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

agree with both postings ahead of mine and end of March perfect time to be here - as full tourist season not yet underway.

Do 3 nights in Rome and treat yourself to a stay of a night in this medieval gem -and walk the streets at night - wander as many of the medieval backstreets as possible - look for the characteristic Gothic pointed arches over the door, knowing that building built 13th or 14th c....ie, most of the homes...and.. see the Basilica di San Francesco, Basilica di S. Chiara, the Minerva Temple ( 1st BC) in main square - and the medieval city hall in main square lit at night ----very few people will be out in late March.

STUPENDO!

MAGICO!

MERAVIGLIOSO!

....(getting a sense?.......!)

Wetumpka, Alabama
Level Contributor
231 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Another lover of Assisi and it rained most of the 2 nights and 3 days we were there. But I would return in a minute!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Hi Alabama !! Just wanted to say that I hope you had a wonderful Christmas !! can you just imagine what it would be like to spend Christmas in Assisi ???? Oh, I am soooo glad I went there !!! I am truly in love with that city !!!! have a Happy New Year !!!!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

This year, over 55 crib scenes set up all over this gem of a medieval hilltown...........will be up til at least Jan 6th.

if coming, pick up brochure in Tourist Office on main square (right near Temple of Minerva - 1st BC!) for all info on the crib scene locatioins.............

New Year's Eve - bands playing and all dancing all night in the main square

buon anno nuovo to all!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Check train timetables on www.trenitalia.it (English :Language version) to see what is feasible. I agree with previous posters that trying to "do" Assisi as a stop off during a day primarily spent rravelling from Rome to Venice is not sensible.

I would plan on at least one night in Assisi, a lovely small city.

There is no cause to be timid. Italy is a safe country, Italians are friendly and helpful and well accustomed to tourists. Just be sensible, take care not to invite pickpockets, particualarly in crowded places such as railway stations etc.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

Robert is right: spend at least a night in Assisi.

You might consider 3 nights in Rome..................

9. Re: How do I stop in Assisi on my way to Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Assisi