We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in Gubbio

Scranton...
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting around in Gubbio

How difficut is walking thorughout the city when I have a problem with hills an steps?

Piazza Grande
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Basilica of Saint Ubaldo
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in Gubbio

There are a series of elevators which will take you up the steepest portion of the hill to Piazza della Signoria and behind the Cathedral further up. Nevertheless, some incline is unavoidable. If you can handle some moderate steps and incline, you should be OK.

Scranton...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in Gubbio

Thanks for your response. The last time I was there was 50 years ago, when I was young and "fit"!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in Gubbio

Hi Suzanne,

I visited Umbria with a knee injury last year....not ideal but still manageable and thoroughly enjoyable! I found the elevators in Gubbio fantastic! There were still some inclines though. We stayed near Spoleto which also had some elevators. Narni also had elevators right into the centre of the town, which was an absolute treat as I hadn't been expecting them and once you were up in the town there weren't many steep hills to climb.

Hope this helps and have a lovely trip.

Italia
Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in Gubbio

It is steep but there are now 2 elevators that will take you to the Piazza Grande and then the Duomo - there is still some walking up steep cobbled slopes required, but if you take it slow and wear good comfortable shoes it is manageable. Also make a trip to the tourist office in the piazza quaranta marteri - as they can give you a map and show you the least steep ways of walking. Also take the Funivia - funicular to the top of the mountain for stunning views...Gubbio is so beautiful I highly recommend you visit! Buon Viaggio!

5. Re: Getting around in Gubbio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 07:17