We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

My wife and I will be visiting Perugia in early October and would like to dine at a fine restaurant that serves food from the area.

We would love any feedback regarding this.

MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

I was lucky enough to live in perugia for about 7 months and you are in for a treat! The city is literally a hidden gem, so keep it that way. In fact, im not so sure I should be writing this, it may turn into just another Assisi or Island of Capri, absolutely flooded with tourists ......fully equipped, fanny pack and all.

Perugia is an ancient Etruscan city dating back over 3,000 years, the amazing mortar-less city walls still stand. Food choices range from pub grub, bomb a** chinese, to your classical umbrian fare (wild boar and the black truffle). My stomach is growling just wring this. Starting by walking down the famous "corso venucci" you can venture off into any side street which seems quite welcoming. Via dei priori has many great places to visit, just follow your nose. At the bottom of the hill is a student favorite the "tit bit" basically an italian pub with an amazing stone pizza oven. Go classic for the Pizza Salsicia!

If you would like a wonderful, romantic, evening with impeccable service...even for those whom speak very little italian, try La Lanterna, easily found off corso venucci. I'm not sure if reservations are necessary as I was invited there only for special occasions....both of which I ordered the vitello and it was a decision I will never regret!!!!!!!

To sum it up, Perugia is an adventure. Take a stroll, but not too early! The italians dont eat dinner till 8 or later. Observe the Siesta! This is no joke, good luck finding a store open in perugia on sunday, or any time between 1 and 4. Forget America and timely service, i'm not so sure italians even wear watches, and if they do its only for fashion.

ps. dont order a freakin cappucino after 12 noon,

ITS FOR BREAKFAST.

Mentioned in this post
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
La Lanterna
La Lanterna
55 Reviews
Perugia, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

I generally find the best places are where local professionals and businesspeople eat, and I had excellent Umbrian food at Da Cesarino, just off the main Piazza IV Novembre.

Mentioned in this post
Da Cesarino
Da Cesarino
413 Reviews
Perugia, Italy
Piazza IV Novembre
Piazza IV Novembre
825 Reviews
Perugia, Italy
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

Much appreciated! Thanks so much for the helpful info.

We're very excited!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
4 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

I have to agree that the La Laterna is amazing. We had the best meal in Italy there. The food is typical tuscan fare and prepared perfectly. We really enjoyed the truffle risotto and the ravioli in an orange cream sauce was amazing. They also have an excellent wine list. Enjoy your trip and boun appetito.

Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

Go to Bellini's--in the old part of town, but easy to find on a side street. Romantic and fine without being too pricey. The owner is actually Scillian, so the food is a little more southern in style. We were memorizing the food, analyzing the flavors so that we could imitate them when we got home--lots of seasonal wonders, and the best slightly salty rolls. I miss those rolls! The waiter spoke a good bit of English in the way I like--helpful when necessary, but obviously perferred to let us try as much of our feeble little Italian as we could. The restaurant was one of the delights of our trip to Italy. (If it is still on the menu, try the pistachio/panchetta/sage with ravioli---we managed to imitate it in our kitchen with some success, and it was a memorable Christmas meal favorite with our guests!)

Wow--I find that I'm jealous of you just thinking about it!

6. Re: Best Restaurant(s) in Perugia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 05:46