We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains Perugia - Rome

Which Perugia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Trains Perugia - Rome

Hi there,

I am trying to organise a holiday trip using train between Perugia and Rome.

Trenitalia booking system shows only one train from Perugia to Rome on the 23 December, and no trains at all on the 28 December. These days are not holidays!!

First I thought that the whole booking system is busted, but it shows trains on those days between Milan Florence and Rome.

Does anybody know what is going on? Is it possible that there would be no trains between Perugia and Rome?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,740 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

There is a timetable change on 11 December, and not all information after that date is yet loaded onto the Trenitalia system. Some lines have full information, some have partial information, and some have no information.

Look at a date before 10 December. There is not likely to be much change in the times.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,725 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

>Does anybody know what is going on?

The usual. Trenitalia, being their usual disorganized selves, is not publishing the new schedules beyond a few "guaranteed" trains up until the last minute before schedule change. Same spectacle as every year in December.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

Also consider the direct SULGA bus service:

www.sulga.it

http://www.sulga.it/orari/perugia_roma.pdf

NOTES:

1. There are more daily direct SULGA buses between Perugia and Rome than there are Trenitalia direct trains. Other trains require a connection at Foligno.

2. It appears that, beginning December 12, the 6:43 a.m. Eurostar train from Perugia to Roma Termini will become an Intercity train (and cost a bit less). I assume that there will be an evening return Intercity train to Perugia replacing the current Eurostar train (although the return train is still not appearing on the Trenitalia website).

3. The primary advantage of the SULGA bus is that it departs from and arrives at the bus depot in Piazza dei Partigiani, which is within walking distance from historic Perugia (via the subterranean series of escalators which cut through the demolished "Rocca Paolina"). Taking the bus therefore avoids having to take the Perugia "MINI METRO" from the Fortivegge train station to the historic district at the top of the hill.

4. The SULGA bus fare will be higher than the Trenitalia "regionale" fare, but less than the Trenitalia "Eurostar" or "Intercity" train fare.

5. The SULGA buses arrive at and depart from the bus depot adjacent to Roma Tiburtina metro station. You can take the metro from Tiburtina to Termini and beyond.

More information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187907-i1064-k490…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

Thank you all for your responses.

The advantage of the Sulga bus as described by GAC does not help me as I live in Ponte San Giovanni, close to the Railway station. I have used the trains before - it is just the confusion with the booking system.

The Sulga bus seems to take a very long time to get from Fumicino to Perugia, and the lack of english web page does not help either.

Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

Hello! My husband and I need to find a train from Perugia to Rome on January 3rd. Does anyone have any info. about the schedule for the departure times for trains to Rome on that day? We will have luggage with us. Hopefully there is a train in the afternoon.

Thanks so much!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,740 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

There are numerous trains from Perugia to Rome on 3 January: see www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

In case it's not obvious, Trenitalia has replaced the single Eurostar train between Perugia and Rome with an Intercity train (using almost identical schedules). The fare is now slightly lower, while travel time has remained the same. This train (the Intercity) is useful for making a daytrip TO Rome FROM Perugia. Other (unreserved regionale) trains are useful when making the daytrip in the reverse.

8. Re: Trains Perugia - Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:40