We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

States
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

Hello

Please...looking for info pertaining to train travel from Florence to Perugia & back (days later).

question 1

Unfortunately we will have wheeled luggage with us - no way to avoid. Can anyone please tell us if buying prima clase first class tickets would allow us more (& maybe safer) space to store our wheeled bags during our trip? Don't mind paying for the peace of mind.

question 2

Can anyone tell us please what regionale train name runs diretto direct going/returning between the two cities without a change-of-trains????

Thank you most kindly for any help!

Ciao

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

There are direct (no change of trains) unreserved regionale trains between Florence and Perugia every two hours:

www.trenitalia.it

Because (on the unreserved regionale trains) first class seats recline (whereas second class seats do not recline), you might consider paying extra for this comfort. You can place your suitcases in the overhead luggage racks above your seat: they are no "safer" in first class than they are in second class. Obviously, you should "keep an eye out" for your luggage while on the train, especially when the train stops at intermediate stations.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

When using the website recommended in reply 1, you are looking for trains from Firenze S.M. Novella to Perugia.

Edited: 24 September 2012, 17:05
States
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

Thank you for kindly replying with the web site -

I am checking now on the website. However, not apparent to my ignorant eyes whether a train is direct or no. Example, looking at treno #3157 departing on a sunday from 12:12 SMN Firenze to Perugia arrival 14:23. Cannot tell whether direct or change along the way. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I should look for?

thank you again everyone!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

On the Trenitalia website, click on "details" under the train number. This will bring up the list of all intermediate stations. The 12:12 p.m. train is direct from Firenze SMN to Perugia (no train change). This train has both first and second class seats, UNRESERVED.

Purchase the tickets at the Florence SMN train station prior to boarding the train. You can use the automated ticket machines to save time.

I DISCOURAGE purchasing an ELECTRONIC ticket for the UNRESERVED regionale trains, because they have VERY significant restrictions on use which the traditional PAPER tickets do not have.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
718 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

To determine if the train is direct or not, look at the partenza and arrivo column. For your example going from Firenze to Perugia, the 12:12 shows partenza as Firenze and arrivo as Perugia, so that would be a direct without a train change although there will be stops along the way.

The 13:12 however shows the partenza as Firenze and the arrivo as Terontola-Cortona and then underneath shows partenza as Terontola-Cortona with arrivo at Perugia. That would indicate a train change. You can also see under the treno heading that there is a different train number for each of those legs.

States
Level Contributor
128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

Please to forgive - I did not get a notice that additional replies had been received to my question already - thank you all so very much.

You are a wonderful help to a traveler!!!

Edited: 27 September 2012, 11:13
7. Re: Firenze to Perugia & back train info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:17