We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Cardiff, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

It's my first time visiting the region and my first ever Jazz festival. Unfortunately I couldn't convince anyone else to come with me but I didn't want to miss out - so I'm braving it alone. I'll be arriving on July 11th and leaving on July 15th and I'm going to be seeing Wynton Marsalis and Herbie Hancock

Has anyone been before? Any tips that should keep in mind? Places I should visit or maybe you're also travelling there alone and want to find others going? I would greatly appreciate your replies. I'm so excited to go!

Lisciano Niccone...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Umbria is very beautiful. You can visit Spello, Assisi, Orvieto, Todi, Montone, Trasimeno lake and other. Last year I went to Sting concert in Arena Santa Giuliana stadium. Perugia is a little town and it easy to visit by walk. For visit the surroundings you need a car. You also rent a yellow vespa http://www.umbriainvespa.com/theidea.htm.

Visit Country House Marilena la Casella for accommodation info. http://www.marilenalacasella.com

#visitumbria #iloveumbria are the hashtags.

Regards

Marilena

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

I'm excited for you! I was there in 2011, it was magic. I hope to go again this summer. We arrived just as the festival was getting under way (it was a happy accident that landed us in the city) and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find accommodations, but we persevered as we had no other option (our little country home 20 minutes away had a plumbing issue and had no running water!). So, If you've not already booked you hotel do so now!

We found a place, the last room at the Inn really, and had a local negotiate a better weekly rate for us. It was an older hotel that provided a few surreal moments, but nothing unpleasant and was very clean. Amazing rates Hotel Astor.

While this hotel seemed a bit of a hike from the main festival action, it turned out to be PERFECT because it was right on the tram line. If you don't already know there is a tram lift, a public transport system that moves people up and down the little mountain. Walking is possible as well but it's a quick and easy ride with just one or two stops up to the festival centre, which made our place ideally located - close via the flash new tram but away from the madness of the crowds. We travelled easily by bus and Train from Perugia to Todi, Lago Trasimeno, Assisi (ooh if you like a spa treat go to 'Nun Relais' here for a combination of history and indulgance - the 'proper' roman bath circuit (modern), now underground, is built in amphitheatre excavated during building of the new hotel in an old nunnery!!! http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187905-d1863553-Reviews-Nun_Assisi_Relais_Spa_Museum-Assisi_Province_of_Perugia_Umbria.html). Also travelled to Florence (Firenze) very easily by train or bus. You will have a WONDERFUL TIME! Very happy for you. I will also try to go this summer, but would be on my own this year, so just starting my search now for people who might like to meet up or share accommodations. It really is a magical place and a magical time. One last tip - am just remembering a great little eatery with incredible views and nicely priced healthy but tasty menu; can't remember the name of find it in reviews... but it is special for how it is perched on the edge of the old town with views looking down onto more old town and the old wall. Arrive there via the main jazz stage square and follow the rode that slopes up (at this point you are so perched on the hilltop that there there are only two directions, up or down). Away from the main bustle, find a street that has several little 'cheaper' eating options, including a Falafal place ( which was good and full of appreciative students for a cheap tasty late night option)... keep working your way to the 'edge'. I know these directions sound vague, but you can eventually find it!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

I studied there many years ago in college and was caught up by the jazz festival and many others during the summer. I went back years later and hung out with many jazz musicians, and hope to finally go again this summer. There are several free concerts outside around the city during the day, along with marching bands from New Orleans. Then there are several you need to buy tickets for- most of the major acts. I stayed at a hotel along the main strip which was excellent. You can get there by train, and then take the bus up the winding road into the medieval city. They have a small museum worth visiting if you are into art (Perugino), and naturally the churchs in the center of town. It is a medieval town and I found it rather beautiful. Perugia has the longest "corso" (walkway), in all of Italy, so you can sit with an espresso or other drink at a cafe' and people watch. It has several universities, one for foreigners, and you can dine very inexpensively at one of their several restaurants or the gigantic cafeteria, and there are several pubs as this is a college town. Here is a link for the Itinerary (scroll down and click on for more days). www.umbriajazz.com/pagine/umbria-jazz-13 Let me know how you are doing! Assisi is close by by train. If you're into budget travel, try picking up a "Let's Go Italy!".

Edited: 08 June 2013, 06:00
Marsala, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

I agree with Marilena, Umbria and its capital Perugia are amazing, it is worth visiting them. I went to Umbria Jazz last year, it was very nice. I know that it's difficult to find an accomodation in Perugia during Umbria Jazz so I would like to suggest a new convenient and still available self-catering accomodation in the heart of Perugia just a few steps away from Umbria Jazz concerts: "Appartamenti turistici Deliziosa" here's their website: appartamentituristicideliziosa.jimdo.com

I hope I have been helpful.

Kind regards

essex
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Just about to visit Umbria Jazz for the third year running. Its a magical place to be. If you are going to the arena, you can buy the cheapest tickets to sit at the back. You will still see and hear well.

There is an escalator inside the rocca which takes you up to town. Many free concerts and look out for Funk Off, best marching band there is. Enjoy!

essex
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Just about to visit Umbria Jazz for the third year running. Its a magical place to be. If you are going to the arena, you can buy the cheapest tickets to sit at the back. You will still see and hear well.

There is an escalator inside the rocca which takes you up to town. Many free concerts and look out for Funk Off, best marching band there is. Enjoy!

Perugia, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Perugia is wonderful. If you want to eat for 10.5 euros or less a delicious vegan meal, go to the best-kept secret in the heart of the city (they are not very good with advertizing): The Chiccho integrale, a vegan / vegetarian restaurant up on the first floor of a medieval building. It is practically ON the Piazza grande (where all free concerts are): via della Gabbia 9, left on the ice-cream shop 'LA Fonte Maggiore".

I love the food so much, I volunteer there from time to time for this association.

Pascale

PS. The other best-kept secret is the underground rooms underneath the Museo diocesano with Etruscan walls, a Roman street, and the room where the conclaves took place. You walk going down 15 m deep!

Perugia, Italy
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

Hello there Minimalist Traveler, maybe this message comes too late for you. I am a parttime expat foreigner in Perugia city and always ready for giving some advice on the beautiful Umbria. So feel free to contact me, I will be staying in Perugia from the 10th untill the 17th of July. Ciao!

9. Re: Umbria Jazz Festival 2013 - Who's going?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:16