We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orvieto to Perugia

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Topic
Orvieto to Perugia

We will be in Orvieto from January 14,2014 departing January 18 to Perugia. Will use Perugia as a base for seeing Gubbio, Assisi, Spello. The only train schedule I can find (and I feel that Trenitalia is an absolute struggle for me) is one that departs Orvieto 8:11 p.m to Arezzo - change trains and arrive in Perugia at 11:30 p.m. There has to be something more reasonable than that time frame. Can anyone help? Also, how to get from Orvieto to Todi via train. Cannot find any reasonable time here either. Bus seems to leave late in afternoon and gets back to Orvieto early in the morning next day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

Trenitalia has a timetable change on 14 December, and the times for many local trains are not yet available past that date. Use a date before then for your initial planning.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 22:59
Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

Thank you for that information. I continued researching after my original post and did find train schedules on a Rail Europe website. They were almost too good to be true. The website states its location in New York, USA and there is a USA toll free number to call, but only Monday thru Friday. I will call to find out if they are affiliated with Trenitalia. Has anyone ever heard of this train line?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

RailEurope does not operate any trains. It is an agency that sells train tickets and adds on a substantial fee.

If RailEurope is showing trains that are not shown on the Trenitalia web site, it is just assuming that there will be no change in schedules after 14 December. Do not trust this information: it is too good to be true.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

You can also use Perugia as a base to see Todi (by bus). From Orvieto to Todi, the train is extremely inconvenient (you must connect at Orte and Terni and the train does not take you into Todi proper). Better to take the direct bus from Orvieto to Todi.. I very strongly recommend that you see Todi from Perugia and not from Orvieto.

www.umbriamobilita.it

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

Thank you both for the wonderful information. With 6 weeks in Italy, I still do not have enough time! From Perugia then I plan to visit Todi, Gubbio (1 day trip each) Assisi & Spello combined in 1 day trip - all within my 4 night stay. Hope that is possible. From Orvieto in 3 nights (wish I had more) I plan to visit only the Bagnoreggi/Civita area 1 day & then just wander around Orvieto. My only questionable stay at this point is Ravenna - 2 nights. I hear the mosaics should not be missed. Any input on this? Thank you again so much. You have no idea how helpful the information I have received from travelers on various websites has been for me as this is my first trip to Europe.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

If you are going from Perugia to Todi, note that the trains are not on the Trenitalia website. They are here umbriamobilita.it/public/resources/orari_fer… and the longer distance buses in Umbria can be accessed here umbriamobilita.it/it/…servizio-extraurbano including the Todi bus umbriamobilita.it/public/…E012.pdf which gets you to a more convenient location than the train station.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

No problems doing these daytrips out of Perugia (and all worthwhile).

Out of Orvieto, also consider visiting Amelia and Bolsena (in addition to Civita' di Bagnoregio)

umbriamobilita.it/it/…servizio-extraurbano

Line E 653

umbriamobilita.it/it/…

Line E652

www.cotralspa.it (Bagnoregio from Orvieto)

The mosaics in Ravenna are stupendous, well worth a special visit, although there are also wonderful mosaics in Rome in numerous churches

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

Again, thank you for the extraordinary information! I will keep Ravenna. In order to visit Bolsena & Amelia, I would need an extra day in Orvieto. I have 6 nights in Florence & plan to relax and see Florence with day trips to possibly Lucca, Greve, Pisa. I also have 4 nights in Siena to see Siena properly & day trips to San Gimignano & Volterra. It seems I would have to take 1 night away from Florence to add it to Orvieto. Does that sound like a good choice? I also have 4 nights in Verona w/day trip to Vicenza & Padua. I hear Verona is lovely. Then 6 nights in Venice & 2 nights in Milan so we can see Leonardo's "The Last Supper". Fly out of Milan to visit my son & his family in Luxembourg. Any feedback on taking a day away from Florence?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

Bolsena and Amelia are minor destinations which can easily be "bumped". I am not a big fan of Greve, and believe that Pistoia, Arezzo and Cortona are much more significant daytrips out of Florence. Most certainly Lucca and Pisa are worthwhile to visit out of Florence. I would also choose Amelia and perhaps even Bolsena over Greve.

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Orvieto to Perugia

That is very helpful. I think my decision is made & I will keep my 6 nights in Florence & plan to see Lucca, Pistoia, Arezzo, Cortona & Pisa if possible. I do want to see Civita - seems so pure and untouched, but for the little time I have left in Orvieto, I will just enjoy that little town. I guess we will just have to return to Italy one day. I would have serious concerns about myself at this point were it not for the many posts I read from travelers like me who drive themselves crazy trying to decide what to see and what to forego. Thank you for your quick response. This itinerary has to get finalized so I can book accommodations.