We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Tires End of March?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Winter Tires End of March?

Advice please!! Our rental car agency is being low-key about the need for winter tires this time of year. I know it is an extra expense but safety concerns--we are driving from Munich to Lake Maggiore area through Switzerland on March 21 and March 22--probably staying in Guarda area and Soglio. Are winter tires a must? Thank you so much for any help you can give us.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
Guarda
Guarda
Engadin Scuol, Switzerland
Soglio
Soglio
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,061 Reviews
from US$162.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,255 Reviews
from US$153.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,071 Reviews
from US$249.80*
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Tires End of March?

Check the elevations along your route - you can get maps, etc. at michelin.com - anything under about 5,000' or 1500 metres is very unlikely to have snow. The roads are very well maintained anyway and I've driven all over Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy in snow without snow tires. Just take it easy. Most folks I know ih Europe might put chains in the car but they don't use winter tires. You could ask about chains if you are worried but, in over 20 years of winter driving in Europe, I've only had to put on chains once in an ice storm in the Black Forest on hilly, back roads - last to be plowed, sanded, etc. In other words, I wouldn't worry. Have a great trip - Maggiore is beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Black Forest
Black Forest
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
2. Re: Winter Tires End of March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 01:18