We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with planning itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with planning itinerary

Hello, I’m a first time visitor but I’m having some trouble trying to build an itinerary. I’m planning to go sometime between mid Oct to Nov. I’m wanting to do the highlights or famous places tourists normally do on their first trips. I’m planning to visit around two to three towns and have about a week to a week and a half. I’m landing 8n Zurich.

Are there tourist places which are closed at this time of the year?

Is it easy to get around by public transportation without driving?

Is it relatively safe to travel alone as a single female traveller or are there areas that you would advice to avoid?

Would appreciate your help so I can start planning my itinerary. Many thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,748 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with planning itinerary

Hi autravelbug

End of October/beginn of November is out of seasons in our areas. Often there is smog around the valleys. Sometimes the mountain peaks are in the sun which makes them extremely attractive. Many higher mountain resorts are nearly dead this time of the year, cable cars etc. are under revision and many hotels are closed. This does not say that ou should not come but you need to choose your base or your bases carefully. Look for places where there are attractions which are less weather dependent.

I would recommend

- study the Top Questions about Switzerland (upper right hand side of your screen) for a lot of basic information about Switzerland.

- Look at the following links which are for areas which would have a lot to offer

www.luzern.com/en and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum)

www.montreux-vevey.com and Top Questions about Montreux (TA Montreux forum)

www.myswitzerland.com for other areas of Switzerland

Your questions

Are there tourist places which are closed at this time of the year?

Not really but some would be very quiet or nearly closed (see above)

Is it easy to get around by public transportation without driving?

Public transport is an experience on its own in Switzerland. You should absolutely use it. Driving is not a good idea this time of the year as we can get the first snow. Also the road rules are different from Australia,

Is it relatively safe to travel alone as a single female traveller or are there areas that you would advice to avoid?

Switzerland is one of the safest countries of this beautiful world. There are no "dangerous" areas.

Happy planning

pore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with planning itinerary

Thanks for your advice really appreciate it.

Also wondering if I need to book the train tickets ahead of time or is it possible to book on the day or the day before?

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,748 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with planning itinerary

Hi autravelbug

We do not book our train tickets ahead. Just buy it when you arrive at the railway station and hop on your train. This is possible on the counter, the ticket machine and on your smart phone with the SBB app (see Top Questions about Switzerland).

pore

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with planning itinerary

Thanks so much Pore!

Reply to: Need help with planning itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted