We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Hi all,

We are considering driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell (and then on to Fussen) on May 1st. We are stopping in (near?) Appenzell to visit Berggasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli before continuing on to our hotel just outside of Fussen (I am aware this will be a very long day). I have read many of the posts and precautions regarding driving in Switzerland. However, time-wise it seems to be the best option for our destinations. So this is my question: with the understanding that weather may be unpredictable in April/early May, should we expect to encounter any particularly snowy mountain roads between these points? We are shooting for the shortest route for time's sake, if that helps.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

-Amber

TLDR: any potentially extra snowy mountain roads between Lauterbrunnen and Appenzell early May?

7 replies to this topic
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,970 posts
292 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Hi Amber T

If you travel on motor ways you will not have any problems in Switzerland. As you say, weather is not predictable maybe you will need to change your routing the day of travel.

Are you aware that you will pay expensive one way fees if you rent a car in one country and return it in an other one? This is not mentioned in the rent but as special cost.

pore

California
Level Contributor
584 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Well, at the moment the Aescher Berghaus is only saying they will be open from May. They do not give the specific day in May when they will open, so you need to email Aescher and ask them if they will open on May 1st. By the way, the gondola up to Aescher is not located in Appenzell The lift is located in Wasserauen. Wear sturdy boots if you do manage to get to Aescher and allow at least several hours for the sidetrip to Wasserauen, the wait for the lift, the ride up, the walk to the gasthaus, a meal, the walk back to the lift, the wait for the lift, the ride down, and then the ride back to the motorway.

http://www.aescher-ai.ch/

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Hi Pore - Thank you for your feedback! We are considering returning the car in Switzerland to avoid the excessive cost (it would add just an hour of travel time to do this I believe, maybe a bit more - the alternative is dropping it in Munich and either flying or fast-training to Paris), but we are also still deciding whether we want to eat the extra cost to save time since we are quite limited on time. It would save us hours on the ride to Germany/stopping at Aescher, so that is the plus.

Terre2014 - Thank you so much for the input on Aescher! I'll make sure that we allocate enough time for the side trip to Wasserauen. I reached out to them a few months ago to confirm they would be open on May 1st. They said they planned to be, but of course could not say for sure due to the weather being unpredictable at that time. I'll reach out to them closer to the trip to check in again.

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
275 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

...the train is really, really a nice way to go... Lauterbrunnen, Appenzell, Wasserauen, Fussen.... Right on time...Super dependable... Cheap (get the right pass for your itinerary) and no worries about returning car and speeding along. Sit back on the train. Have a beer. Look out the window. ...walk a little. Just my opinion...but I think it's the way to go.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Hi motherHEncinitas -- I completely agree with you. I wish it were more feasible for this trip, but we are making the most of the small amount of time we have. I can't seem to find an itinerary between Lauterbrunnen and Wasserauen that will take less than 5 hours, which isn't ideal since we will be pushing forth to Fussen afterward. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, though? I can only find train times for this route on Rome2Rio, which I prefer not to use.

In an ideal world, we would stretch out our time, take the train so we could sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery, and stay a night in Appenzell rather than rushing forth to Fussen. But with a max of 10 days and a husband that really wants to see Paris this trip, I'm planning to just muscle through and see as many of our bucket list items as we can in our short time frame.

California
Level Contributor
584 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

Is there some reason why you are not using the Swiss Rail site sbb.ch ?

But yes, on sbb.ch the train times vary between 4h43min and 5h13min. You may be able to drive it in less than this time (maybe 3.5-4h), but only if you encounter no traffic, no poor weather, and do not head off in the wrong direction.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell

No, Terre2014, there is no good reason I wasn't using the Swiss Rail site outside of my brain being a bit nonfunctional at times :). Saving 2-3 hours is worth it, but only up to 45 minutes may not be so worth it. I'm giving this some more thought. Thanks.

Reply to: Driving from Lauterbrunnen to Appenzell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted