We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Appenzell to Zurich Flughafen - 3 nights ?where to go?

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
275 reviews
From Appenzell to Zurich Flughafen - 3 nights ?where to go?

I'm flying into Zurich, taking the train to Lech, Austria to hike the Lechweg, finishing up in Fussen. My plan is to take the train from Fussen to Appenzell to visit friends and will have 2-3 nights to spend before departing again from Zurich. I had thought I'd go to Stein am Rhein (one night) and maybe adding one other stop for a night and heading to Zurich airport on my final morning. For some reason I've hit a road block. I would appreciate any and all input and ideas. For a little insight on me and my travel vibe... I'm traveling alone, so keeping lodging costs low is important...however, I'm an older lady and want my own bathroom;) I like small, quaint villages...walking around looking at buildings, animals, landscapes... not that interested in museums, big cities. I am traveling by train and on foot. I prefer finding my meals at a market and picnicking over big sit down affairs. I will be landing in Appenzell on September 15 and was so hoping on seeing some of the alpabfahrt...if not there, then in another area???? Thank you so much in advance for any ideas!

2 replies to this topic
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
146 reviews
1. Re: From Appenzell to Zurich Flughafen - 3 nights ?where to go?

The big alpabfahrt in Urnasch is in later September this year. The alpabzug in Flims is on September 15, but may not be convenient.

You can receive emails from the Appenzellerland tourist office with dates and locations of the local alpabfahrt.

info@appenzell.ch

Appenzell is lovely. We enjoyed St. Gallen, Mainau, and the ferry to Meersburg.

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
275 reviews
2. Re: From Appenzell to Zurich Flughafen - 3 nights ?where to go?

Thank you so much. I've been checking in with the tourist office but didn't think to get emails. Will do!

Reply to: From Appenzell to Zurich Flughafen - 3 nights ?where to go?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted