We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip in July

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
157 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip in July

Hi Everyone, we are looking at flying to Munich early July and hire a car and road tripa round Switzerland, Austria and Leichenstein. We have 9 nights and mainly would like to see mountains, lakes and go on some cable cars and visit some nice little towns and villages. We are not really bothered about large cities etc.

We plan to start in Munich and do a big loop either going right out of munich and starting in Switzerland or going left and starting Austria way. We are wondering if anyone can advise a good route to take or any sights/places we should do. We have road tripped round Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Thailand and Malaysia so we are used to driving long distances and navigating new roads.

We are even open to venturing further into maybe Slovenia or Italy, basically the world is our Oyster for the 9 nights and we would love some first hand opinions on where we should go!

P.S we are aware of the motorway vignette and other things we need.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,059 Reviews
from US$162.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,254 Reviews
from US$153.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,070 Reviews
from US$249.80*
5 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip in July

Hi WakefieldBex

Do you expect that somebody organizes a tour for you? If so you would need to contact a travel agency.

Sorry, there are so many options in Switzerland that it is impossible to list them here. You will need to look at a travel guide and/or www.myswitzerland.com to find out which area or areas you would prefer most. By the way, it would not be possible to see Switzerland with 9 nights. How should it be possible to see 3 or more countries?

pore

p4

Mentioned in this post
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
157 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip in July

Hi Pore,

Thank you very much for your extremely unhelpful reply. I do not expect anyone to organise anything for me, I use TripADVISOR to research and ask people questions in the hope they can ADVISE me. Yes I am aware there are many many places but if someone asked me how and where best to visit in Yorkshire I would be able to recommend places for that person without giving a pointless and unhelpful reply like you.

The sweeping statement of 'it is not possible to see Switzerland in 9 nights' is ridiculous. We are well aware we can not see every inch of the country within that time but unfortunately for normal working class citizens taking more time of that than in one stint is not possible.

Next time you read a post like mine and you have nothing of benefit to offer, why not just scroll past and continue with your life.

So many negative people around these days!

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip in July

Hi Bex: we are also planning a driving tour of Switzerland in September 2019. I don’t have any experience to offer, but here’s some ideas from research I’ve done for our itinerary:

- Weggis is a small village alternative to Lucerne, is on the same lake, and is at the base of a trip up to Mt Rigi;

- Murren is a quaint mountain village in the Bernese Oberland with gorgeous views. Even though we’ll be leaving the car in Stechelberg, because Murren is car-free, we will have a quiet mountain retreat;

- Ascona is another lakeside village with a taste of the Italian influence of Ticino;

- Sils-Maria has mountain valley and lake access in the Engadin; we also plan to take the train over the Bernina Pass from St Moritz;

- in between these stops we plan to drive 5 or 6 mountain passes, which has been our primary goal for this trip. As many as 4 can be driven in a single day! The bulk of these passes will be driven between our stays in Murren and Ascona.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!

Edited: 28 May 2018, 05:01
Mentioned in this post
Bex
Bex
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Weggis
Weggis
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,956 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Stechelberg
Stechelberg
Ascona
Ascona
Lake Maggiore, Switzerland
Canton of Ticino
Canton of Ticino
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Bernina Pass
Bernina Pass
233 Reviews
Poschiavo, Switzerland
St. Moritz
St. Moritz
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip in July

Bex, I scroll down

Mentioned in this post
Bex
Bex
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Colorado
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip in July

You will love Murren; hope you're carving out 3-5 days for this area. Plenty of things to do and any less time incurs a level of risk if you have some cloudy/bad weather. Although, keep your fingers crossed for a 2-3 hour downpour....the waterfalls on the far side of the valley that will suddenly appear are priceless.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Murren
Murren
Reply to: Road Trip in July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted