We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg

Fuquay-Varina...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg

Need base location recommendations.

My family of four (2 adults, 10 year old and 8 year old) are visiting Switzerland from 29 Oct - 1 Nov. We are very active. We would like to see the Jungfraujoch and Oeschinen Lake and then get in a few nice day hikes. I was looking at lodging in either Grindelwald, Kanderstag or Feldberg. Any opinions on these areas? Is there another area I should consider? Thank you for your opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,529 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Oeschinen Lake
Oeschinen Lake
446 Reviews
Kandersteg, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Coeur des Alpes
Coeur des Alpes
#1 of 110 hotels in Zermatt
BELLERIVE - CHIC HIDEAWAY
BELLERIVE - CHIC HIDEAWAY
#2 of 110 hotels in Zermatt
Hotel Firefly
Hotel Firefly
#3 of 110 hotels in Zermatt
3 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg

I would look first at the hikes you are thinking of doing. Grindelwald First lift closes on 28 October so this cuts down your options there. Many of the higher paths everywhere will already be closed.

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Fuquay-Varina...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg

Skitandoori,

Thanks for your reply. I had no one specific hike that I wanted to do, we just like to be out and about in nature. The Grindelwald tourist page lists "winter hiking". I assume that means hiking is possible without a ski lift, but please correct me is I am wrong. I would hate to get there and find we are unable to get out on any marked trails.

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg

Winter hiking means hiking in the winter, quite often it will be trails that you access via a ski lift or bus there are a few in Grindelwald.

Everything isn’t closed, but quite a few lifts and trains are. What do you mean by hiking? Would you be happy with prepared and marked paths? There are quite a few year round paths. Why not start with the hiking section on jungfrau.ch?

Edited: 27 May 2018, 22:20
Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Reply to: Grindelwald vs Kanderstag vs Feldberg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted