We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

*Can you combine a half fare card with buying a Swiss Travel Pass the way you can with the BO pass? (Get 50% off of buying the STP?)

*With the STP you can walk on/off trains without buying tickets, except when a ride isn't included free (i.e. Schynigge Platte), but on one thread someone mentioned that this only applies to main line and that you have to go get a ticket on all mountain lines, even when they are free? This doesn't make sense, so I want to clarify before purchasing. Can you walk on/off mountain line trains/cables/etc. if they are covered by the STP (i.e. Schilthorn, Laut-Wengen, etc.?)

5 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
1. Re: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

The HFC does not give 50% of on the STP it does not make sense to get both.

At the Schilthorn you just show the STP to a member of staff at the entrance, and then board. Lauterbrunnen - Wengen is just normal public transit: get on board. Show pass when asked by a conductor.

Most mountain railway and cable cars are not free with STP, only those that are considered part of the Swiss Public transit network.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

These are my various routes (some being taken multiple times) over the course of 8 days in BO. My calculations are showing that the 8 day STP is about $80 more/person than the HFC for our trip, so I just want to make sure my convenience decision of not having to buy tickets or wait in a cue for 90% of our trips is correctly based on $160. I looked at the STP map, so I think I have it correct. Last time we just bought the HFC, so weighing whether the convenience is worth the $.

WALK ON-OFF TRAIN ROUTES

*Lauterbrunnen-Wengen RTs

*Stech-Laut

*Schilfhorn (Laut/Grutsch/Murren/Schilt/Birg/Stech)

*Cable to Allmendubel

*Murren-Gimmelwald

*Gimmelwald-Stech

*Laut-Wilderswil

*Domodossola-Wengen

*Wengen-Zurich Airport

WILL HAVE TO BUY A TICKET FOR

*Wengen cable to Männlichen

*KS back to Wengen

*Schynigge Platte roundtrip from Wilderswil

*Milan to Domodossola

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
3. Re: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

Hi

Allmendubel isn't included in the STP.

Btw. You may know that KS to Wengen is only 25% off with the STP.

Most of these local journeys are trivial, you can get tickets from the machines without queuing up. Or even use the SBB app.

If you did opt for the STP, I would opt for a boat trip on one of the lakes.

Have a great time.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

@Ian1291 - I thought I read that Allmendubel was included in the STP for 2018 since it's technically part of the Schilthorn cable car system?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?

schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Timetable__and__Tariff

Reply to: Swiss Travel Pass-combine w/Half-Fare Card? Buying tickets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted