We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help

Singapore
1 post
Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help

Hello TA!

My husband and I will be flying in from Singapore to Zurich, and after 2 nights there, we'll be taking a train to Lucerne for 4 nights, and then onward to Paris for 5 nights, also by train. Lastly, we are ending our trip in London, and flying back to Singapore.

Just a question that I have:

If I buy watches in Zurich or Lucerne, where can I go to get the VAT refund? Or is it possible to hold off the tax refund until my last stop, London?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,089 Reviews
from US$163.80*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,290 Reviews
from US$151.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
393 Reviews
from US$251.40*
3 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
1. Re: Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help

You need to get the forms stamped by a Swiss Customs official. Those you will not find in London.

You’ll need to go look for one in Basel on the way to Paris.

Personally I wouldn’t bother. VAT isonly 7.7% in Switzerland, so you’re not going to get a lot back anyway.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help

VAT refund is one thing - one of the private tax refund companies will probably accept a tax refund form from a shop in Switzerland (always against a commission), some accept return requests by mail. That tax refund company will then get the VAT back from the seller (in Switzerland) you could also get directly (if shop accepts).

See for instance one of the tax refund company FAQ - globalblue.com/customer-services/faqs/#faq-s…

But for any kind of VAT refund operation you will need a proof of export - for shops in Switzerland from Swiss customs when leaving Switzerland. Have a look for instance at https:/…tax-free-shopping.html - the important element is to have the export forms stamped by Swiss customs when leaving the country at the border or at a Swiss airport.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 17:39
California
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help

Switzerland is not part of the EU so you'll have to either complete the paper work in Switzerland or at the Swiss Consulate in either Paris or London. If your not flying out of Switzerland it's a pain.

As a side note, unless your looking for one of the less popular Rolex watches, you won't find any of the highly sought after watches like a Submariner, GMT or Daytona to name a few. The world wide shortage is alive and well even in Switzerland.

Reply to: Zurich-Lucerne-Paris-London VAT help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted