We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in June

Allentown...
3 posts
Save Topic
7 days in June

My wife and I are planning to spend a week in Switzerland next summer. We enjoy scenic towns and gentle hikes and don't want to waste too much time travelling. Would it be a bit much to spend all 7 days in Lucerne? Might half the week in Lucerne and half in, say, Bern, be a more interesting trip?

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in June

If you like scenery and walking, I think you would be better served spending half your time in a mountain village or town. Wengen or Murren in the Lauterbrunnen Valley area of the Bernese Oberland are hard to beat, and not that difficult to get to from Lucerne. But there are many other mountain options as well.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in June

You might like to think about spending maybe half of your time in the lovely walled medieval town of Gruyeres as a base for gentle hiking up into the prealps (up to a height of around 2000 m). A while ago I found a short tourist video about Gruyeres on Youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFWA8Ozb2c

The area is accessible by train and I can tell you about lots of nice secret hikes. The town itself has a beautiful castle and a fun big cheese museum (which I always visit with my friends for the silly audio tour and free cheese at the end!). A short bus ride away is the larger town of Bulle and I've also recently visited some lovely new thermal baths in the area (which I wrote a mini review of this weekend tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k1171… )

You could easily make day outings to lake Geneva.

I could easily fill four or five days in this area, so let me know if it interests you. I'm not so sure about hotels, as I stay in family accommodation in another village, but I've seen there are some hotel reviews on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g198820-Gruyeres_La_G…

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in June

I second PJHistor's advice to divide the time in Lucerne and a mountain village in the Berner Oberland. An other option would be stay a full week in the Berner Oberland.

In June 2008 Switzerland and Austria will be hosting the European Soccer championships, one of the biggest sport events in the world! I don't think there is a problem about going in this time, but try to book early specially the flight and the hotel in Lucerne (They are not playing there, but it's very close to the host cities, and I guess it will soon be fully booked). Best is to book before Dec 2 (final draw in Lucerne).

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,194 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in June

Hi McCohen,

Like the others above, my first instinct is to suggest you go to a mountain village to get the complete Swiss-postcard experience. But you say you enjoy "scenic towns," so I hesitate a bit.

Can you tell us what kinds of things you enjoy doing? Do you enjoy gourmet dining, different restaurants, nightlife, museums, and shopping? If so, then yes you'll want to stay in Luzern and/or Bern -- or you could consider lakeside towns like Thun or Brienz.

But if you don't need a lot of restaurants and shops and would rather spend your time gazing at the incredible peaks, then consider staying in Wengen (www.wengen.com and www.wengen.ch), Muerren (www.muerren.ch), or Grindelwald (www.grindelwald.ch).

Good luck!

s

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in June

Be warned you trip in June will clash with the EUFA football competition and may inflate prices.

Upstate NY USA
Level Contributor
141 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in June

What is the last day of the tournament? We are planning also to arrive Switzerland June 27.

We are reserved to stay in a small hotel in Spiez, one of the lakeside towns but next to a rail station that gets us easily to the mountains, Luzern, Gruyeres... all those places.

Washington state
Level Contributor
683 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in June

PelicanBill--

That will be nice for you I think . . . Spiez had always looked so inviting there on the Thunersee when we've gone by and seen it from the train window. But we've never stopped. I hope you will tell us about your time there.

And, you're right, it is very convenient to go from there up to the Lauterbrunnen Valley (Wengen and Murren), Grindlewald, and also to Zweisimmen, which I don't know much about.

8. Re: 7 days in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:16