We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Power Adapter

BCRocks
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Power Adapter

I'm having a heck of a time finding a proper swiss power adapter.

I want to bring my laptop and my wife enjoys her hair tools.... Some people say you'll find the common European plug where wikipedia says the swiss use their own plug.

A search of the forums here got me similar information.

I found the apple convertor for my laptop and then found in the reviews it doesnt work in Switzerland.

Can anyone point me to a specific and affordable converter I can buy.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

Hi, the Swiss plug is in all the sets of travel plugs they sell places like Radio Shack. Check to see if your computer is 120/240 watts and 50/60 herz. If it is, all you need is the plug. If not, contact your manufacturer because it could damage the computer to use it in Europe. I would assume all Apples are dual voltage.

Your wife's hair stuff - she will need more than a plug for a blow dryer but just a plug will work for a curling iron or anything else without a motor. It is very difficult to carry a transformer large enough for a blow dryer so go to Wal-mart or similar and buy a dual voltage travel dryer. It will probably come with plugs as well but will work off the plugs you get at Radio Shack as well.

Once you are in Switzerland, your hotel will likely have some plugs you can borrow because they get forgotten a lot! It's not necessary to take more than one with you. Also, you can buy the plugs there for very little.

Hope this helps.

BCRocks
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

I have a radio shack one and it has two prongs for europe but not the three.

I dont think it has the third prong for swiss.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

The plugs in Switzerland are two prong.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

But let me add - the plug I use is a two prong. I think I have some European/Swiss appliances (a kettle, a hair dryer) that are three prong.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

A useful web site for worldwide power supplies, sockets, plugs etc is …pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

>Some people say you'll find the common European plug where wikipedia says the swiss use their own plug

There are two prongs for power and one for ground circuit. High-powered units would need ground circuit which is located in a different place in any European country. OTOH the power prongs are the same everywhere on the continent (different in Britain and Ireland). If you don´t need a ground cicuit the standard European adapter will be sufficient.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

may i add that the swiss prongs are thinner than those f.e. in germany (Shuko).

if as KM said your appliances work with a 24OW voltage (and make sure they do) then all you have to do is buy an adaptor.

I found this great site that explaisn all in detail:

…pandora.be/worldstandards/…plugs

Tak

canada
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

The high consumption (over 6 A) gadgets need grounding. In Switzerland the German speaking part usually has sockets that fit a German plug, the French speaking region will be tuned to the French, while the Italian part will please the Italians. All these differ in the position of the ground pin(s). In other words if your gadget consumes less than 1320 Watt, a thin 2 pin plug will do. Or you can buy one in Migros or Coop City for 1-20 CHF depending on style. If you plan to have future trips to Europe, buy the gadget in Europe.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

While we're on this subject, I wonder if I can buy a converter plug for my Swiss kettle so that I can use it in other European countries. It has the three prongs and I couldn't find a way to use it in Germany. Anyone know? Thanks!

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Power Adapter

Pull out the 3rd pin with a plier or if it is sealed into the plug break it off. Done that.