We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

london
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

Hi,my wife and I would like to hire a bicycle in Luzerne and Zermatt.

1) Is cycling fun in Lucerne and Zermatt?

2) From where can we hire it? cost? can we book it on internet? I am traveling on 26 July

3) Are there an recomended good cycling tracks? safe?

thanks a lot.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,231 Reviews
from US$160.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,041 Reviews
from US$166.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$255.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$255.40*
london
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

no reply :(

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

You can try the tourist office website for Zermatt to check on bicycle rentals - www.zermatt.ch

and the Luzern website - luzern.ch

Sydney
Level Contributor
265 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

Hi, I was in both places last year in September. Lucerne will be fantastic for a tourist "ride" - the town centre is fairly flat, spacious and you will have a great time cycling around ie. nice gentle tourist ride around town - mind you the traffic was a bit hairy in the centre. Zermatt is another story -small mountain town, it is pretty hilly - mind you if you like BMXing or mountain cycling you will love it!! Heaps of jumps and mountain paths. Depends on what your idea of cycling is ... I wouldnt bother booking - just rock up at the Tourist Information at each place and there will be heaps of brochures.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

…wikimedia.org/wiki/…Lucerne_cycle_route.jpg

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,330 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

If you are not afraid of some (not too many) inclines, an excellent day cycling trip is to follow the road along the north shore of the Lake Lucerne all the way to Flüelen. As you go further the mountain scenery around you is more and more breathtaking. Between Brunnen and Flüelen the main road disappears in a lot of tunnels and the cycle lane follows the old road bed, hammered into the rock face high above the lake.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,293 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

Hi countryside muffin,

Here are some sites to help you out:

www.rent-a-bike.ch

unfortunately not in English, but if you can make it out, it will list the rental stations and some suggested routes.

www.veloland.ch

everything you ever wanted to know about cycling in Switzerland. Includes the national routes as well as local routes, and has lots of options for bike rentals.

Have fun!

s

7. Re: bicycle hire Lucerne and zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 20:19