We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Fast baggage" service from SBB

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
535 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
"Fast baggage" service from SBB

Although I've been to Switzerland a few times, I've never used the "Fast baggage" service, and wanted to hear the input from anyone who's used it. During my next trip, there are two days in particular in which I plan to take some horribly complicated ways to get from one city to another, and would rather my luggage go ahead of me. On one day, I plan to take the Golden Pass on my way from Geneva to Davos, which will involve changing trains in Montreux, Interlaken Oost, Luzern, Thalwil, and Landquart. Then, later, I'd like to go from Zermatt to Zuerich via the Flueelen to Luzern ferry, which will involve changing trains in Andermatt, Goeschenen, Flueelen (and from the train station to the harbor), and Luzern. Is the Fast Baggage service fast and involve minimal paperwork? How much more time would I have to count on to arrive at the train station? (And yes, I know, there are much simpler ways of getting between the towns I mentioned)

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$162.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$174.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$250.80*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.40*
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Fast baggage" service from SBB

Hi lebelgo,

I've used it a number of times and can tell you that it is absolutely reliable. The cost is 10 chf per bag for 48 hours' service or 20 chf per bag for same-day service (send it before 09.00 and pick up after 18.00). If you haven't already found it, here's the website:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…reisegepaeck.htm

I don't recall there being any paperwork, really. Just like checking your bags at the airport. You tell them the station, they put on a tag, they make notes in a notebook, you pay your money, and you get a copy of the tag on your bag.

Hope this is the info you needed!

s

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
535 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Fast baggage" service from SBB

Yes, thanks! It seems simple enough.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Fast baggage" service from SBB

I just want to echo what Swandav has told you. I've not used the "Fast Baggage" service but it is much like the "Fly-Rail" system, which i use every year and, so far touch wood, it has never failed me.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
535 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Fast baggage" service from SBB

"so far touch wood, it has never failed me."

Thank you for your assistance. Just FYI, in case you ever visit the states, "touch wood" has a different meaning on the other side of the pond. We do use the phrase "knock on wood," however. You might see someone blush, however, if you say "touch wood." It reminds me of some other phrases which have left me momentarily confused in Britain, such as the time the flight attendant at Heathrow told me "The information desk down the hole (i.e. hall) will handle any queeries," or the time the secretary explained that her boss would be back in a few minutes because her boss was "out back blowing a fag." :-D

5. Re: "Fast baggage" service from SBB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 03:32