We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains and Luggage

Montana
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trains and Luggage

Hi, I have a question regarding train travel. I will be in switzerland with 9 other family members. None of us has ever really traveled by train, so this is our first time.

One day we will be going from LeLocle to Bern but will be stopping in Avenches on the way. Is there anyplace we can store our luggage when we get off to go to Avenches, or how do we handle that? Then we will be going from Bern to Lauterbrunnen but on the way will be taking a tour of Lake Thun and will be getting off the boat to see some castles. What are we supposed to do with our luggage when we do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeanie

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains and Luggage

Hi JRT2,

There are usually luggage lockers in the medium and larger train stations. I've never been to the one in Avenches and don't know how large it is, so you may want to e-mail the SBB or the Avenches tourist office and ask.

From where are you taking the tour of Lake Thun -- Interlaken or Thun? I know Interlaken has luggage lockers, and I think Thun does too. So you should be ok for that day.

One alternative would be to simply send your luggage on ahead of you on the train. It costs 20 chf per bag. If you get it to the station before 09.00, you can pick it up in your destination after 18.00.

Have fun!

s

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains and Luggage

When we stopped in Meiringen a couple of years ago they didn't have lockers large enough for our suitcases. We asked the man behind the ticket counter and he kept them in his office for the time we were there for SFR5 per case.

You should have no difficulty storing your luggage at the stations - either a locker, left luggage office or a friendly station person.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains and Luggage

Hi, the best is to just ship the bags. You'll know your bags will be at your destination. You can ship them the day before for just 10 Swiss francs each if you have a really portable day bag to keep with you.

Montana
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains and Luggage

Thanks everyone for your advice! I suspected it wouldn't be a big problem as everything I have read indicates it is a very efficient and user friendly system. I just did not want to end up wasting too much time there trying to figure it out. I just need to make sure I understand one thing...when you say ship it ahead you mean ship it on the train, correct? So if we just brought our bags down there first thing in the morning we should be able to pick them up at our final destination. I need to really think about the trip, but I think these two days are the only ones where we will run into that problem so shipping all our bags those two days would probably be the best option.

Thanks again!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains and Luggage

Hi, yes, all you do is take your bags to the baggage office at the train station and they will fill out a form, take your money and give you a receipt. Your bags are then handled by them and will be at the station to which you shipped them. It's a great system and, in my experience, totally reliable.

Montana
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains and Luggage

Thank you! I love all you people on TripAdvisor...it makes it easy for those of us who are new to international travel. This being only my second trip abroad, and me being someone who likes to be sure of what I'm doing, TripAdvisor - and all of you - have been lifesavers (or at least sanity savers) :)

thanks!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains and Luggage

Hi again,

Yup! Easy as pie!

Here's a link with the official information:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…schnellesreisegepaeck.htm

Have a great trip!

s

8. Re: Trains and Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 05:22