We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report (one of three)

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report (one of three)

This is part one of three of my trip report since we had three "bases" during our recent holiday in Switzerland (Montreux, Lugano and Chur).

We bought Swiss passes for our trip as I'd worked out that this would be the most economic given the number of rail journeys we'd planned. I've yet to do all the maths using the SBB web-site to confirm this but, when I have, I'll post seperately with the results.

I've also got loads of photos. Once I've sorted them out I'll post a link to them as I've used Google's Picassa up to now.

Day 1.

Arrived Veytaux (Montreux) after a car journey, 2 flights and 2 train journeys (24 hours; phew!). Appartment in block on main road but at stop "Bonivard" of the number 1 bus. Small stream next to appartment is boundary between Territet and Veytaux.

Day 2.

Took bus to Vevey and train to Rolle via Morges on advice of MostlyByTrain to see flotilla of steam boats on lake. Lots of people, food and drink stalls, brass band, steel band and boats. Very enjoyable day.

Day 3.

No. 1 bus to Montreux and up the escalator to the train station. Took the rack railway up Rochers-de-Naye. Still some snow around and very few people. Not as warm as at lake level and the soup and coffee at the restaurant was VERY welcome and delicious. Quite a few marmots out enjoying the sunshine and a lonely reindeer waiting for Christmas. Staggered up to the viewing platform - what a view!

Day 4.

Took the Golden Pass train to Montbovon and changed to the train to Gruyere. Walked up to Greyere itself. Very pretty village with expensive restaurants. Back down to Pringy (Gruyere's station) and had Rosti in restaurant. Bought cheese at shop - delicious stuff!

Day 5.

No. 1 bus to Chillon. Walked around Chateux (with several smoke breaks as it's quite a walk and climb to see it all) - spectacular place and worth the excercise. Bus to central Montreux fo coffee in lakeside cafe and shopping at the Coop (we self-cater).

Day 6.

Bus to Montreux and a two hour round-trip on the lake. Bus to Villeneuve for lunch. Looked at several cafes and bar's menus and decided on which one we prefered. Ended up being a chinese meal - not very authentic Swiss but very good nontheless! (I forget my translation book).

Day 7.

Bus to Villeneuve train station with our luggage as we were moving to Lugano.

General...

Lake Leman (Geneva) is a gorgeous lake in a spectaular setting with some breathtaking scenery.

The number 1 bus is a very easy way to get around the area.

The bus to the station in Villeneuve was, for us, the easiest way to depart. The owner of the appartment picked us up from Montreux's railway station when we arrived. The no. 1 bus is on a lower level than Montreux's station and needs an escalator ride to get up to - difficult with large suitcases.

Yes HambaGahle, that "Fine Food" butter from the Coop is very good.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report (one of three)

Hooray. It sounds like you had lots of fun and you did lots of my favourite things!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report (one of three)

waaahhhhh, I'm jealous! How *dare* you be so mean to me?

Ah, gosh, what a lovely trip! Thank you so much for posting this great report!

s

3. Re: Trip report (one of three)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 06:17