We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Pass Line

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Pass Line

We will be going from Lucerne to Interlaken on Sept. 27 (a Sunday). I had planned to "just take a train", but then read about people trying to take the Golden Pass Line. Others seem to scoff and call it a "tourist train". I have read some of the press for this. Is it simply a train that runs on the same track that is panoramic in design? Does it cost more than the regular train? We will most likely have a half fare card. What are the pros and cons of this?

Now that I have the hotels and air fare, I am planning the connecting transportation.

Sightseeing Interlaken
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
UBS Polybahn
Taxis & Shuttles
Geneve-Cornavin Railway Station
Taxis & Shuttles, Railways, Mass Transportation Systems
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Pass Line

Ethelsue, on this part of the route there are panoramic coaches, I belief they are only in first class, nd to be honest I don't personally think they are worth the extra cost. Trains run hourly over the same route and the designated Golden Pass trains runs less frequently, I think one or two a day. What's the difference going by ordinary train? To bu honest not a lot, same scenery, same route, and the mountains are not really high enough to warrant the extra window in the roof. Yes you will have to pay for first class. If I ride that route which I will do in September I'll sit in second class and enjoy the trip just as much. Bear in mind this is only my opinion. If you do travel this route are you aware that at Meiringen the train reverses, so if you are sitting on the right hand side facing the direction of travel when you leave Lucerne at Meiringen change to the other side when the train leaves Meigingen for the best views along Lake Brienz.

2. Re: Golden Pass Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 07:18