We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

I am in Lugano working for the summer and have one weekend off. While I love Lugano and Ticino, I would like to see a different area of Switzerland and am thinking od Davos, St. Moritz, and Brunnen.

I want some place that isn't too far away and that has things to do but also relaxing things to do (laying near the lake, a leisurely hike etc).

Any suggestions? I've read Davos isn't an attractive place---true? Will St. Moritz be "dead"? Is Brunnen too small?

Thanks!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

Brunnen would be ideal. Small town - right on the lake - hiking along the Swiss Path - easy to get to from Lugano. www.brunnentourismus.ch/

If you want somewhere bigger then consider Lucerne. Direct trains from Lugano. www.luzern.org/en/welcome.cfm

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

davos? not very attractive in my opinion.

St. Moritz? engadiner will be able to tell you more but again in my opinion not very relaxing.

Brunnen? yep, that is the one i would chose or even Luzern itself.

tak

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

I'll echo the previous posters and say Brunnen, small enough and with enough transport links to make getting around easy.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

Brunnen is on the 'Weg Der Schweiz' a footpath around lake Luzern which utilies the local forms of transport too. www.weg-der-schweiz.ch

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

I'm glad other people feel Brunnen is a good choice!

Is there a postbus from Lugano to Brunnen? A train? Or is is easiest just to drive?

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

hallo wong,

we alwayss advise people to use public transportation in switzerland. this is because it is safer, faster, less stressy and the routes the trains follow spectacular.

(and help a little bit to protect our old planet)

the route from Lugano to Brunnen is one of these spectacular routes: through bellinzona and the Gotthard tunnel to Arth golday, where you change train to go through schwyz to Brunnen.

It takes you about 2.30 hours.

If you are in the mood,. i suggest you go all the way to Basel (from Lugano) and take from there the train to Brunen. then you get to see another city as well.

As for tickets, have a look at the sbb offers:

http://sparbillette.sbb.ch/home/?lang=1

tehy are hard to beat.

tak

7. Re: Davos, St. Moritz or Brunnen??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:17