We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

Singapore
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

Hi all,

I'm travelling from venice into lucerne by rail. which website should i book my ticket from?

from italy website: www.trenitalia.com

or swiss site: www.sbb.ch/en/

swiss site seems to have more train frequency than the italian site. anyone can help on this?

can anyone advise? I read some post on this issue too and someone have problem collecting their ticket when they book thru www.sbb.ch/en while they coming in from venice.

thanks

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

You would be able to pick-up the tickets in Italy if you booked using the trenitalia website.

At the SBB website, you might be able to print-out the tickets online - otherwise the tickets have to picked up in Switzerland.

At either website, you should be able to purchase the discounted 2nd class 'Smart 1' fares beginning 60-days in advance.

You have to register for both websites.

The SBB website is more user friendly.

The Trenitalia website does not always accept 'foreign' credit cards.

When the conductor comes along to check tickets, you will have to show the same credit card that was used to purchase the ticket.

Singapore
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

Thanks dougb328,

Can I say that I can book thru SBB website and obtain the print-out online before I depart Venice to Lucerne? I will be touching down 1st in Italy (Rome-Florence-Venice) then enter Switzerland (Lucerne-Interlaken) by train.

SBB website offer better train frequency schedule as compared to Trenitalia. That is why I want to book from SBB site if the Italian train authority allows to. I saw some post previously that one of the traveler (leaving Venice to Lucerne) using SBB encounter ticketing problem

Really confuse with train booking system. Hope some enlightenment from you guys here can help me out. Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,157 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

I don't think you can print Swiss tickets out on line if you are not registered with the CFF (Swiss trains) and don't have a half fare card...I would suggest you get an Italian-originating ticket through Trenitalia. You should be able to collect this at the Venice station...

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

Hi DesmondTan,

I've used the SBB many times and printed my tickets at my computer. It's quite easy to register -- just as you would register for any online purchase. I don't remember any page asking for my Half Fare Card info; I don't believe it is necessary. In fact, I've had so much trouble getting my HFC renewed online that a long time ago I regestered anew with a different user name that my HFC uses. No problem buying & printing online.

s

Singapore
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

Thanks Hambagahle and Swandav,

I have checked both SBB and Trenitalia site, SBB provides better train schedule. That is why I choose SBB. But I’m not sure if it allows me to board the train in Venice showing the e-ticket.

So I can say that actually I can purchase from SBB online and print out the ticket( as long as I register myself) and show that to the train official when boarding the train from Venice to Lucerne.

Sorry, this is my first time doing a cross border transit by rail. I really hope that everything turn out well. Thanks for all your kind input.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,157 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

HI

I know we can use Swiss e tickets in Switzerland, and if we take a full day ticket (carte journalière) we can use the e ticket on the busses and trams. But the e ticket requires that a bar code be read by the train conductor, and the Swiss conductors are equipped for this. I doubt whether the Italian ones will be able to read a Swiss e ticket. To be sure I would get a ticket that could be collected at the station - ie the Italian one.

Interestingly, in Switzerland you can also have your ticket sent to your mobile phone. But the system won't do this for the day tickets that include the busses nor for some regional trains where the conductors can't read the screen of the phone!

7. Re: coming into switzerland from venice- rail booking site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 06:17