We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Hello,

Please let me know if credit/debit cards are acceptable in Switzerland in the places like JungFrau, Schilthorn, Mount Titlis.

We will be staying 2 days/3 nights and just wondering roughly how much money to take with me (excluding hotel)? Could you suggest?

Are Euros acceptable in Switzerland?

Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Hi Sweety17

Yes of course credit/debit cards are acceptable. Whether you pay extra as a service charge I don't know. Euros are acceptable in some shops in Switzerland but it is not the currency of Switzerland, that's the Swiss Franc (chf). If you pay in Euros you will be at a disadvantage, you will pay for the conversion and you will get your change in Swiss Francs. As for how much to take what are you planning to do? If you want to cost the price of tickets have a look at the relevant web sites all of which have an English version, if it's day to day expenses try looing at some of the restaurant websites and get a rough idea from that, otherwise I would suggest using you debit card on arrival and taking out about 200chf and seeing how far that goes. There a plenty of ATMs in Switzerland. Check with your bank before you go about charges made by your bank. I have never been charged by the Swiss bank for a withdrawal. Bit other than a very small amount, enough for the first cup of coffee I would not get any Swiss Francs before you go. There are as I have said ATM's everywhere. Look on the website of your entry point into Switzerland and see where your nearest ATM is.

Dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Thanks for your reply. Your reply was really helpful.

Please let me know if I would be able to use credit/debit card for the cable cars and train tickets to the mountain tops (jungfrau, schilthorn)? I forgot to mention it before.

Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Hi again Sweety17

sorry i can't help you I've always paid cash for those trips along with my Swiss Pass.

I'm the type of person who changes their mind half way through a journey and so finds the Swiss Pass the best Pass for my use. I am sure one of the experts will tell you, or you could email the Jungfraubahn railways and ask

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

You can use credit cards for all the the train voyages you mention. These are popular places and the Swiss are very efficient and accomodating about taking your money :-) Heck, you can even use a credit card to pay a helicopter rescue crew if you encounter difficulties doing a difficult mountain climb!

You will also find many ATMs. Suggest you get 100 CHF or so at your point of entry into country for incidentals, then you can easily replenish along the way.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,590 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Credit cards are not only accepted by the trains, but also by the mountain cable car/gondolas etc etc wherever you go.

If you are flying to Switzerland from the US then I would not bother getting any Swiss francs at all before arrival here. There are plenty of ATM machines at the Geneva and Zurich airports, as well as full service banks where you could change USD to CHF. ATM's are definitely the way to go as the rate you will get is much more favourable to you than changing cash or still more favourable than getting CHF in the USA:

Most restaurants take credit cards too. The ones that don't will have it marked on the door "Pas de cartes de crédit" in French and "Keine kreditkarten" in German...

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

Hambagahle

Many thanks for that last little snipet of information, I don't normally use my credit card much on holiday, prefering to stick to old fashioned cash but you never know when the information may be useful

AZ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

I have traveled alot and usually bring the currency from the country I am going to with me. It is a lot more convenient than looking for banks, ATMS and paying the fees for exchanging money. If I take chf 1000.00 with me from the USA I loose $30 usd total. It is worth the $ for the convenience.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

>It is a lot more convenient than looking for banks, ATMS

You don't have to "look for banks and ATMs" - they are at every second corner. You can't avoid them.

9. Re: Are Credit/Debit cards acceptable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:16