We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

I am bringing the Girl Scouts to Switzerland next summer. As we try to price the package for travel, I am trying to estimate train travel costs and they seem exceptionally high. It appears we can buy a half-price ticket for around 350 francs before we even pay the half price for each ticket. This seems very expensive. We plan to travel from Zurich to Lugano, from Lugano to Kandersteg, day trips to the surrounding areas during the visit, use of boats on Lake Lugano, Lake Zurich and possibly at Thun, cable cars and gondolas then back to Zurich. By the way, most of the girls will have turned 16 within one month of our travel dates:(

I realize the train website is easy to use but I am becoming overwhelmed by what train travel alone will cost. Am I misjudging the costs or is travel within Switzerland going to cost more than the program at Kandersteg and more than our $700.00 airfare?

I would love some suggestions of ways to economize on travel within Switzerland. Thanks, Moms

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

Momstravel are you lookig at the yearly half fare card or the monthly half fare card. I don't know wehat the $ rate is but in poinds sterling the monthly card is £99. It may also be worth contacting the Railway authorities and asking about group fares.

If fact with group travel I would cwerainly ask about a group pass of some kind.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

Hi momstravel,

How many are in your group? Is it 10?

Groups of ten qualify for few benefits in Switzerland, including help in sitting togeter and (I think) cheaper prices. Here is a link to the page:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/reiselust/gruppen.htm

Unfortunately, it's not in English. But you can copy the whole thing and past it onto a translating site such as the one at google. Or -- you can e-mail the office through the SBB site at

www.rail.ch

Did you know that each Half Fare Card costs 99 chf??

Anyway, good luck!

s

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

Thanks for the quick responses. After I typed this thread, I dug a bit deeper on the sbb website. I sent a request for group rates to sbb and am awaiting a response as, indeed, even speaking basic French and German, the group pages are too much for me! (I must brush up on both languages before we travel!)

As of the half-price tickets, I was looking at the yearly rate. Thank you for the assistance. I am having trouble locating the 1/2 price monthly tickets on the website. I can find the 1/2 price yearly passes. What do you know about this 16 year old pass? My daughter turns 16 this fall. I am thinking of picking up that pass for her now and using it next summer. What do you think?

Finally, I am a bit confused about 16 year olds. Do they buy adult tickets or childrens tickets?

Sorry for all of the confusion but this is a critical part of our travel budget and I want to make sure the girls are budgeting appropriately.

Thanks, Moms

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

By the way, there are 18 of us (9 moms and 9 girls). All but two of the girls will be 16 when we travel.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

The girls <16 can travel for free with their parents but NOT with just any adult. The girls >=16 would qualify for a Swiss Youth Pass. You can purchase passes in the USA 6 months before you need to use them. So you could buy them in December 2009 before the 2010 price increase as long as you use them within 6 months of the date of purchase.

To minimize travel costs with Swiss Passes I would suggest that you only plan to stay in the country and travel for the exact number of days on your Swiss Pass.

The consecutive pass is available for 4, 8, 15, 22 days and the flexi pass is available for 3, 4, 5 or 6 days of travel within a 1 month period.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

Hi again,

You can find the one-month version of the HFC at this site:

www.swisstravelsystem.com

Have fun!

s

7. Re: Economize on train travel with group of Girl Scouts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 06:19