We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does "post card" mean?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Topic
What does "post card" mean?

DH was trying valiantly to reserve a room in Zermatt with his rudimentary German. The proprietor confirmed that a room was available, but kept talking about "post card." He assumed this to mean that we were to follow up with what we know as a postcard. However, I have seen that term used as a method of payment, so perhaps she was asking for a credit card number?

Since I have the address, and the reservation is for late in September, should I send a letter with credit card information? She does not appear to have email.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does "post card" mean?

I am not sure whether this is what you mean but the Swiss Post has a banking branch that is usually cheaper to use than standard banks and therefore very popular - and the owner might ask for your post (debit) card account not realizing it is different in other countries.

A credit card number won't help as far as I see. If the owner speaks English, call him/her and ask what it is they want?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What does "post card" mean?

Unfortunately, the owner appears to speak absolutely no English & DH hasn't studied German in 40 years. I was impressed that he did as well as he did.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does "post card" mean?

If you call him back, you might use the magic words Visa and Mastercard in your conversation. Those are the same in any language! Unless of course he was talking about the beautiful view from your room, which is going to look like it should be on a postcard.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does "post card" mean?

Hi, what hotel are you booking? I've only run into one or two people in Zermatt who don't speak fairly fluent English and have not found any business where there is no one who speaks fluent English - well, at least very functional. I wonder if he is telling you to send by mail (post is the word used in Europe for mailing) your card details to him. You should be able to make this work with rudimentary German - just e-mail saying you are posting a letter with credit card details to secure the room

Can one of the German speakers write the appropriate sentence for these folks?

I feel fairly certain this is what they want.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What does "post card" mean?

This is the Haus Carmena in Zermatt, which I found on the Zermatt.ch site.

Thanks for any assistance. This will be for 5 nights, so it's important to nail it down.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does "post card" mean?

I can't honestly believe that there is any hotel or b&b in Zermatt whose proprietors don't speak English and which can't be contacted by email. And the word 'post card' doesn't make any sense to me - as you are from the US they must know that you don't possess any post bank card and I cannot imagine that they ask you to send them any postcard. If you could tell us the name of the hotel and the date of your stay, I could try to contact them to find out.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does "post card" mean?

Oller, how nice of you! I, too, can't imagine someone dealing with visitors in Zermatt who doesn't speak English but....

MsNomer says it is the Haus Carmena and I found this at the Zermatt website

Frau

Marianne Perren

Luchernstrasse 5

3920 Zermatt

Tel.: 027 967 29 68

The Perren's are a family very involved in the hotel and guest services in Zermatt - maybe the person on the phone was an assistant or caretaker???

Thank you for helping these folks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,112 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does "post card" mean?

I'd be happy to call them too - it's a local call for me!

Just send PM with details...

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does "post card" mean?

I just called Mrs Perren and obviously she is elderly and indeed one of the two or three persons in Zermatt who don't speak English and at the same time one of the two or three persons who don't have an email account - I have no idea how she manages to rent her appartments under these conditions...

But anyway, here is what she meant: Because she didn't well understand you on the phone (in fact she even hardly understood me, even if my Swiss German is pretty good!), she asked to send her a letter or postcard with the exact dates and your address. She even doesn't know how long you are going to stay, only that you will arrrive on Sept. 24th. No need to give your credit card no. (I doubt whether they will accept credit cards at all, maybe you will have to pay in cash). And you can write in English - she will have somebody to translate it to her. She promised to keep up the reservation for you until she will receive your confirmation by mail.

I hope this helps and that you will have a great stay in Zermatt despite of language difficulties!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,126 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does "post card" mean?

YAAY!!

I just love you guys!

**group hug**

: )))